Front Left "whoosing" noise turns into a chirp/squeal at speed.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Left "whoosing" noise turns into a chirp/squeal at speed....

P

PIUtility

Ive had this issue for a while now, sounds like a "whoosing" that is completely speed-dependent from the front left tire. Almost sounds like something is stuck on the tire or between the brake pad and rotor. Dealership blew me off in August. Now that its out of 3/36 ofcourse its back and louder. Checked everything I could see, no leaks or anything on the CV joint/axle. When I hit a bump or turn to the right, the noise gets louder and at speed its like a chirp or intermittent belt squeal type noise. Dealership tells me its tire noise, but I have some video driving in a parking lot, and its clearly NOT tire noise or coming from the rear as they put it. The noise is also there whether I apply the brakes or not, so its not rotor/pad related.

Anyone have any ideas? Wheel bearing? PTU? I'm sitting at 37k miles and have both a maxed out PremiumCare warranty and a PowertrainCare warranty, but I'll be damned if I'm paying a deductible for a problem they declined to address before the 3/36 expired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest removing the front tire and exchanging it with another. If the sound follows the tire, then it's either the tire or the rim. If the sound doesn't follow the tire, then you know it's related to the front wheel assembly.

I would suggest removing the front tire and exchanging it with another. If the sound follows the tire, then it's either the tire or the rim. If the sound doesn't follow the tire, then you know it's related to the front wheel assembly.

I suggested that too, while at the dealership, then they suddenly became adamant it was from the rear. I dont have a floor jack at my apartment, and Im damn sure not going to risk using the emergency stuff in the back.

I suggested that too, while at the dealership, then they suddenly became adamant it was from the rear. I dont have a floor jack at my apartment, and Im damn sure not going to risk using the emergency stuff in the back.

Why not? That's what it's there for.

It sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. If the dealer won't work with you either find a different dealership or spend $50 - $100 to have a family owned repair shop take a look at it. It should be fairly easy to figure out where the noise is coming from once they get it on a rack and spin the tires.

Back