Front license plate bracket delete | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front license plate bracket delete

themishmosh

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So my Explorer was a dealer order and had the front license plate bracket option which means a factory install. The good news is that there are 3 relatively small 1/4" holes that are drilled clean. You really don't need to drill a larger hole for a large bumper plug.

I bought these hole plugs from Amazon:
MBPF-1/4" 0.25 inch Locking Black Plastic Body and Sheet Metal Hole Plug Qty 50 PDR Paintless Dent Repair
They are nice because the cap is only slightly larger than the hole and gently domed. Just spray paint them for a cheap DIY. The bottom one doesn't need paint. I used a little dab of silicone sealant to hold them in.

F87E09B7-8097-4C89-9509-0615BB2D77BF.jpeg

7F673846-93D9-4A7C-900D-6B1EAFD513C1.jpeg

A7F0A07C-C554-4993-85BC-9995E427BBF6.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen just about every part used for a bumper plug but telling you, because the holes from the factory are so clean, the plugs I linked are perfect because they are barely bigger than the 1/4" holes and don't stick out much. I just popped the plastic rivet heads out with a flat headed screw driver. No drill needed or recommended.

So you found Iconic Silver touch-up paint at the dealer? I stopped by a local dealer's parts department about 10 days ago and they couldn't find it in their system yet. I'm going to need some :rolleyes:

no. using generic silver paint that i had on hand for now. will be replacing these when i can get my yands on some. ...or not. the color is very close.

So I purchased my White ST with pano, street and tech yesterday. Didnt get any deal :-(, kinda suck, but overall I'm happy.
Has anyone successfully removed the bracket? This is my first Ford so not sure how the bracket is mounted. Other cars are simple, just unscrew and bam! But looks like its not as simple as other cars. So can someone share how to remove it and is it worth removing it?

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back