Front lower control arm bushing replacement tools or instructions needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front lower control arm bushing replacement tools or instructions needed

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

Today inspected noisy suspension in my 07 Explorer XLT and verified that passenger side lower control arm bushings are destroyed at all.

The whole lower arm assembly is very expensive and bushings only are very cheap but i have no idea what tool kit i need to replace those bushings (the long and a short one).

Any instructions or tool kit names?thanks a lot

Youtube videos on lower control arm bushing replacement. Just about every vehicle will be the same or very similer. They can be a pain to remove and require some sort of a press to get them out and back in. Here is a of video of replacement

The factory manual has no info on how to replace the bushing. All it mentions is how to R&R the entire control arm assembly or lower ball joint. Follow the advice above.

Hi all.
My job below are for upper control arm but the lowers are similar with ford strange "4 notches " bushings)

Push out these old bushings and balljoints(in any possible way- its really doesnt matter )without damaging anything

IMG-20210408-WA0031.jpeg

So.. Moog bushings and problem solver greaseble balljoints bought in amazon.
Since i cant just push/install my new bushing with flat spacers or standard kit sleeves ( 4 notches in top of the bushing make it impossible) something like that needed:
20210420_201527.jpg

Made of metal plate thick. 8mm and four M10 allen bolts (cut the bolts thread to approx 8mm long).thats the only way not to destroy my new bushing..pressure apply will be applicable only in 4 upper notches.

All the rest of this job similar to every regular bushing replace procedure

15mm approx. clearance between control arm wall and bushing install surface needed...in other words :dont need to install my new bushing all the way in...

16189392972154668838887944739831.jpg

Back