Front noise & removing driveshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front noise & removing driveshaft

ExploGoldRob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
Hi, all. 00 Sport 4Wdrive. Started having noise while turning. Visually all appears OK from the tires to the suspension to the axles, etc. I posted before, but now the condition is serious. To the point it's unable to drive even straight. It feels like something is locking up or rubbing, as if the brakes are applied. And makes a howling sound from inside. I had to creep home at 15 mph. Can I remove the front drive shaft ? To try to isolate what this problem is ? Is it inside the front differential ? Both c-v axles and hub were replaced 2 years ago. Has anyone had this symptom ? Thanks.

This may be off track, but double check the brake caliper bolts-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192818

You mention work that required them to be removed, so please do not take it for granted they are tight.

The ones in question attach the caliper bracket to the knuckle.

GOOD CALL !!! Thank you !! It started when I had to slam on my brakes on a panic stop to avoid a numb skull. I've looked all over underneath, but everything seemed OK. Just now I peeked underneath - the upper bolt is missing ! At least the head.. maybe it snapped during the panic stop. Funny how sometimes you miss something right in front of your face. I must be getting old... please accept my sincere words of gratitude !

Back