Front Passenger Seat Does Not Move Up or Down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Passenger Seat Does Not Move Up or Down

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
The passenger front seat section don't move up or down. It's stuck on the highest setting and it's not comfortable seating that way.

The chair motor makes noise when you try to lower the seat but it's not moving. How do I fix it? Is there a way I can manually lower it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found this:

"just gently reach onto one or both of the main threaded drive screws with a channel lock or other similar device (don't have to even grab it too strongly) and rotate the shaft either way about 1/32 of a turn or so...one way will resist and the other way will release it. It seems the motor jams the nut to the end of the shaft and doesn't have enough torque to free it when going in opposite direction."

The main screws move the seat back and forward. I need to move the passenger front seat up and down.

Watching....I'm about to replace a second seat platform after the original on the driver's side stopped going up and down and its junkyard replacement went about a year before it too failed.

How hard is it to replace the seat platform? How much you paid for it?

Not hard to replace at all. If I remember right, I paid about 200 bucks for it.

Is there a way to lower the front of the seat back down? I'm okay to keep it all the way down and not fixing it

I'm not aware of a way to manually bring it down.

Can you see what the relevant motor should be doing?
If so, maybe you can replicate its action manually.

How hard is it to replace the seat platform? How much you paid for it?
Did you ever end up fixing you front driver seat motor? I have the same problem. Have not taken the seat out or done any diagnostic work other than the seat is stuck in the highest position. Thanks.

Did you ever end up fixing you front driver seat motor? I have the same problem. Have not taken the seat out or done any diagnostic work other than the seat is stuck in the highest position. Thanks.
I didn't. Let me know if you do.

I didn't. Let me know if you do.
I’m having the same problem. It stuck on highest setting and won’t go down. Bought this brand new thinking I wouldn’t have any issues. This truck has so many electrical problems. Very disappointed

I’m having the same problem. It stuck on highest setting and won’t go down. Bought this brand new thinking I wouldn’t have any issues. This truck has so many electrical problems. Very disappointed
Welcome to EF. This thread is for stock 2002-05 Explorers. I suggest you delete your reply above and re-post in the correct forum linked below.

BTW, I can move the an entire thread to the proper forum, but not a single post without difficulty. Thanks.

Back