• Register Today It's free!

front passenger window motor

marksman10113

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt 4 door
on my 92 explorer the window motor is seized and I just need to get the window up before anything, is there anything I can undo to get it up, I've tried forcing it up and that didn't work either

Do your other windows work? Have you checked fuse? Are you sure the switch is good?
when using the switch, do you hear the motor at all? If you do, you most likely just need a gear plug set and to clean and grease the lift. Dorman Products - 74410
This requires removing the interior door panel , some minor drilling , and I think removal of 3 nuts.
The parts cost is minimal. ≈$8 for the plugs, ≈$4 for replacement panel retainers.
If it is your first time removing interior, go slow. The plastic is old and can break easily.

The motor is going to keep you from moving the window manually. In order to get it up as a temporary measure, you will have to remove the interior panel, drill out a few spots to access the motor bolts, remove the motor, push the window up, and re-install the seized motor to keep it up.

That said, the problem could be the little drive balls in the motor, and having removed the motor, you could inspect that and potentially fix it rather than reinstall the seized motor. It could also be, as mentioned, any number of electrical issues, but the little ball fix is an easy check since you will have the motor in your hand anyway. Check on-line videos for the ball fix.

Back