Front Pinion Seal Leak after replacement | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Front Pinion Seal Leak after replacement

rc1626

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
I just replaced my front pinion seal on my 99 Explorer 4WD as the old one was leaking. After replacement all looked good for about a day until it started leaking again. Replaced it a second time and it is still leaking. I don't think it is leaking when the truck sits but more so when the truck is moving and the gear oil is being sloshed around.

I was recently reading up on some threads on the board and some mentioned about setting bearing preload. I don't know if incorrect preload would cause a leak or not. It seems more like it would probably have more to do with premature bearing failure. So looking for feedback please. Any ideas on why I may be experiencing this reoccurring pinion seal leak? And how does one set bearing preload?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

waskly

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Crooklyn NY!
does the yolk / flange have a worn in grove from the old pinion seal ring?

might need a new yolk/flange.

rc1626

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Thank you for the replies. I will certainly check the yolk flange the next time it is apart. Where is the vent tube if I might ask?

Thank you again.
Rob

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
On the top of the diff in a spot you can't reach unless your magic.