Front plate question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

barho

Reaction score
How does the front license plate attach? Does the dealer drill into the front bumper to install the bracket?

I may purchase a Limited in NJ, but I am from PA and don't need a front plate and was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase a new Ex with holes drilled into the bumper. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does the front license plate attach? Does the dealer drill into the front bumper to install the bracket?

I may purchase a Limited in NJ, but I am from PA and don't need a front plate and was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase a new Ex with holes drilled into the bumper. :thumbdwn:
From what I've read on some posts, it appears the front plate bracket is put on at the factory. I believe JD Draper has a pic on one of the threads showing the Ex with it removed. Sorry if I got the actual poster wrong. Just going from memory which in my case isn't always the best idea.;)

All of them I've seen ship with the bagged bracket in the car, and are installed at the dealer. I would talk to the dealer and request that it is not mounted.

All of them I've seen ship with the bagged bracket in the car, and are installed at the dealer. I would talk to the dealer and request that it is not mounted.

Unfortuanately it has already been mounted :mad:

BUT, they are willing to honor the TrueCar pricing on the limited. Sticker is $45,105. With Truecar (including the current $1,000 factory rebate) my price would be $40,971 (minus tax and tags of course). I have my $750 that I will dropping on them when I pull in to see it this afternoon, so I should get it for $40,221. Should I take the deal?

That is a pretty good deal. I know around here, Milwaukee, WI, these Ex's are hard to find. My dealer had to find ours in IL. My sticker was 39,880 and got it for 35,200. I brought that price on a purchase agreement to 3 other dealers with the same options and they pretty much laughed at me and said they wouldn't even try and compete with that. They said they are selling most at sticker price as so many people want this car.

Mine came mounted from the Factory. I took care of it :)

Explorernose.jpg

From what I've seen, at least some of them are mounted at the factory. peter took pictures of his coming off the transport and his do not have the front plates on but he's in Canada, not sure what the laws are there.

2011_ford_explorer_production_a.jpg

I used two black push plugs from Advance Auto to fill the holes in my bumper. They match well enough that it looks like it came that way.

I used two black push plugs from Advance Auto to fill the holes in my bumper. They match well enough that it looks like it came that way.

Something like this?

No, two of these trim retainers:
10022708_dor_963058_pri_larg.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna do a DIY Write up on this for everyone.

Can to specify Front License Plate delete when building

How do I make sure when I order a new explorer it will not have holes in the front cover? Is is by state? I'm in Michigan (no front plate required here) but I see a lot of explorers in the state with front plate holders or vanity front plates.

Based on my experience, yes. It is state dependent and you just need to have your sales agent add the delete code. I just took delivery in Florida and my front plate was not installed.

I believe the 'holes' are done at the dealership. Here in Ontario, plates are required front and rear. When I first saw my MKT in the showroom, there were no holes or bracket for the front plate. The dealer installed the front bracket before I picked up the vehicle. The attached shows the Ex I returned alongside the MKT I was going to get.

Peter

Attachments

• P3310198_1.JPG
    P3310198_1.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 325

How do I make sure when I order a new explorer it will not have holes in the front cover? Is is by state? I'm in Michigan (no front plate required here) but I see a lot of explorers in the state with front plate holders or vanity front plates.

Just make sure the dealer has front license plate delete on your order. Most Michigan dealers do it by default.

Back