Front Prop Shaft Snapped at CV From Ice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Prop Shaft Snapped at CV From Ice?

Yankee516

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT, 99 5.0L AWD
Morning folks,

Had the 99 Explorer AWD in three weeks ago at a reputable shop... turns out that rebuilding the front diff and replacing the transfer case was just too big of a job to do at home in the winter cold. I also had to replace the front prop shaft with a refurb because the u-joint and cv were shot after 170k.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was driving the car and then heard a clanking noise underneath. When I looked under the car I could see the the front shaft had separated from the CV. There was also some snow/ice packed into the area trapped above the cross beam that runs just below the rear of the shaft. I didn't go driving through any deep snow, so I just don't know if it is an accumulation that built up from driving on slushy roads.

It is my thinking that the weld was not good, which is why it separated. They'll probably tell me that the snow pack/ice broke the shaft. Is it really possible that the front shaft couldn't hold up to the frozen stuff? I'd like to think that in the battle between steel and ice, steel wins. The shaft is turning IMHO and should break free anything attached to it, right?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated since I already had to shell out $2k for the front diff, shaft, used tc and four new tires. I don't want to get hit for another $375 for a new shaft plus the labor to put it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your "refurbed" drive shaft should have a warranty.

Orielly's are lifetime warranted for instance.

Thread moved. This is not a 911

Thanks, Turdle... I'm sure it is under warranty, but my worry is that they will blame me for the breakage and charge for the shaft and labor (maybe towing too). Sorry for the 911, but I am a bit panicked about the cost and don't want to have to pay again. Really want to know if the snow/ice could be to blame...

because that shaft rotates it will keep the area it works in clear usually.

i wold say that the shaft was to blame not the ice, i have seen frozen solid front ends still turn as all it needs to clear by is the thickness of a dollar bill,

because that shaft rotates it will keep the area it works in clear usually.

i wold say that the shaft was to blame not the ice, i have seen frozen solid front ends still turn as all it needs to clear by is the thickness of a dollar bill,

Thanks, Corkey! I guess we are of the same logical mind then. I guess that I'll have to argue in the event that they say it isn't covered. It just doesn't make sense how a spinning shaft's weld point at the CV would tear apart so easily.

Bad shaft. Take it back and make 'em replace it.

Bad shaft. Take it back and make 'em replace it.

Thanks, Shadowless! And thank you all for your solid opinions!

Guess we all agree that they can't blame it on the snow and ice. I'll let you know what they get back to me with.

Funny thing is that when we got the car back there was a VERY slight vibration/hum sound on acceleration at around 20-25mph. Even the shop owner said he couldn't find out where it was since the whole front end (tc, prop, diff, cv, hub bearings, lbj, tires) were all new. The prop was probably was bad from the start and only got worse...

Back