• Register Today It's free!

front pumpkin leak question

Alaskanredneck

Reaction score
City, State
Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
My 91 X was totaled earlier this month. I found a 94 in better condition except that it has a wicked engine ping and a pretty nasty leak at the front diff. Its leaking out of the back im assuming as i was wearing a suit and could not look real close. the fluid is very clean so i figure they know about it and are playing dumb. I need to know how difficult the seal is to change on the front diff and if it could be leaking from any other place? thanks ahead of time
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas guys I have to drive 200 miles out of for my job on Monday

The engine ping If your really really lucky is just MAF issue or a vacuum leak or possibly carbon buildup. If your not lucky you have a lower intake leak which requires some work.

As for the leak, you really need to clean it off and see where its coming from. If it is really coming from the front diff you need to see if its broken with a hole in the top, or just a blown axle seal. The seal from the pumpkin to the beam rarely, if ever leaks unless someone messed with it.

~Mark

Since it's the front axle you can drive around in 2wd without worrying about it. If it's a pinion leak I'd honestly just top it off and keep driving until you get the time to tear into the front end.

That's the hard part I'm looking at it to purchase. I spent an hour going over this thing and i think she was getting pissed lol . So without cleaning the diff is there any other way to check it for leaks quickly. after i test drove it for 20 min i chatted with her for 20 min and in that time i had a 7"x4" leak. I think that's pretty significant leak, If I drive it in 2 wheel it wont cause damage with an empty front pumpkin??

Front differential in a part time 4wd is only used when you engage 4wd. I'd definetly use the leak as a price negotiation point.

Back