Front, rear, control arm bushing improvement... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front, rear, control arm bushing improvement...

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
Some of you that have followed me through my quest with my 2011, and now my 2014 Sport, know I'm not a fan of clunking in the front end or a wobbling steering wheel. See thread from the 2011

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428804

The 2014 now has about 48k on it. At 38k, the front struts were replaced with the strut bearings as the struts were leaking. From there, around 45k, I had the front sway bar links replaced. Then, the front sway bar bushings. The noises in the front went away about 95%.

What I started to notice was the random shaking of the steering wheels around 45-55mph. Sometimes it would happen, others it would not. No real reason for it. I had the tires balanced on a road force machine that was calibrated a week before I went in - road force figures in the front were under 10lbs. Over the last 3,000 miles, it had started to do what the 2011 was doing -- slight wobble of the steering wheel at 45-55mph. What fixed that on the 2011 was new control arms and rear control arm (hydro) bushings.

Thinking that's what I was facing now on the 2014 Sport, I decided I would try something from my Honda days. I bought a tube of 3M Window Weld. I used that, in the past, to fill motor mounts. Before you bash me for it, stop. I realize it's likely a temporary fix; however, what it would tell me was whether it was the rear hydro bushing or the front.

$22 later, I had a tube of it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tes-08609?seid=srese1&gclid=CNr56Y-ZzcwCFcNahgodPAEMDg

I jacked the car up and filled both sides of the bushing in so there were no gaps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...ash=item51dcf1cd9f:g:jd4AAOSwPc9Wvo1K&vxp=mtr

See the gaps in the bushing? Fill those - front and rear. The stuff is sticky as all get out and makes a mess - wear gloves. 30min. later, both bushings were done. I let it dry 12 hours and took it for a drive. Immediately, I noticed the front end was tighter. The random thumping is gone and guess what - no shimmy from the steering wheel.

I am convinced this bushing is weak in our suspension. With time, it can't keep the control arm stable and it results in the clunking and random shimmy. Now, when/if the window weld comes out, I can replace the bushing and move on. They are $100/each from Ford; however, I've seen them online for $60. Bad thing is that you need to remove the entire control arm. Depending on the miles accumulated, I may just replace the entire arm and rear bushing.

FYI for those that run into the same issue. Very happy with how it feels and sounds!

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of you that have followed me through my quest with my 2011, and now my 2014 Sport, know I'm not a fan of clunking in the front end or a wobbling steering wheel. See thread from the 2011

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428804

The 2014 now has about 48k on it. At 38k, the front struts were replaced with the strut bearings as the struts were leaking. From there, around 45k, I had the front sway bar links replaced. Then, the front sway bar bushings. The noises in the front went away about 95%.

What I started to notice was the random shaking of the steering wheels around 45-55mph. Sometimes it would happen, others it would not. No real reason for it. I had the tires balanced on a road force machine that was calibrated a week before I went in - road force figures in the front were under 10lbs. Over the last 3,000 miles, it had started to do what the 2011 was doing -- slight wobble of the steering wheel at 45-55mph. What fixed that on the 2011 was new control arms and rear control arm (hydro) bushings.

Thinking that's what I was facing now on the 2014 Sport, I decided I would try something from my Honda days. I bought a tube of 3M Window Weld. I used that, in the past, to fill motor mounts. Before you bash me for it, stop. I realize it's likely a temporary fix; however, what it would tell me was whether it was the rear hydro bushing or the front.

$22 later, I had a tube of it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tes-08609?seid=srese1&gclid=CNr56Y-ZzcwCFcNahgodPAEMDg

I jacked the car up and filled both sides of the bushing in so there were no gaps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...ash=item51dcf1cd9f:g:jd4AAOSwPc9Wvo1K&vxp=mtr

See the gaps in the bushing? Fill those - front and rear. The stuff is sticky as all get out and makes a mess - wear gloves. 30min. later, both bushings were done. I let it dry 12 hours and took it for a drive. Immediately, I noticed the front end was tighter. The random thumping is gone and guess what - no shimmy from the steering wheel.

I am convinced this bushing is weak in our suspension. With time, it can't keep the control arm stable and it results in the clunking and random shimmy. Now, when/if the window weld comes out, I can replace the bushing and move on. They are $100/each from Ford; however, I've seen them online for $60. Bad thing is that you need to remove the entire control arm. Depending on the miles accumulated, I may just replace the entire arm and rear bushing.

FYI for those that run into the same issue. Very happy with how it feels and sounds!

Shumax

I imagine the "filler" will last a while until it gets wet or goes through a power wash?
Otherwise, I would just repeat the application every few years if it lasts and get rid of the vehicle when time comes for a new one.

The stuff is rock hard when it cures. I don't think it will come apart, but it may come out if it wasn't able to adhere to the bushing. Too your point, I put some more back in there if so.

I plan to drive this one to 150k, so I have some time ahead of me. If I have to replace the bushing a time or two, so be it. Beats the crappy ride and shimmy.

Wander over and search about the Honda Pilot owners. They are battling this bushing a lot more than we do for the exact reasons I mentioned. Ugly.

Shumax

I replaced my front hydro bushings due to a thumping noise when going over bumps at a slow speed. I went with the aftermarket brand Moog as opposed to the OEM. This resolved my problem. I did notice that the OEM was not near as stiff as the Moog brand. I'm not sure if the weaker bushing was due to age or design. I had a little over 40K miles when I did the swap. I would highly recommend going Moog instead of OEM due to the difference in the rigidity.

I replaced my front hydro bushings due to a thumping noise when going over bumps at a slow speed. I went with the aftermarket brand Moog as opposed to the OEM. This resolved my problem. I did notice that the OEM was not near as stiff as the Moog brand. I'm not sure if the weaker bushing was due to age or design. I had a little over 40K miles when I did the swap. I would highly recommend going Moog stead of OEM due to the difference in the rigidity.

+1 for Moog as opposed to OEM, considering the OEM ones are "failing".

What did you all pay to have these replaced? I see the MOOG part is around $40 vs. stock around $100. Sounds like the entire control arm has to come out to replace this bushing. Given that, why not replace the arm and have a fresh ball joint, too? The arm is around $130 from Ford, FYI...

What did you all pay to have these replaced? I see the MOOG part is around $40 vs. stock around $100. Sounds like the entire control arm has to come out to replace this bushing. Given that, why not replace the arm and have a fresh ball joint, too? The arm is around $130 from Ford, FYI...

I paid around $40 a bushing. I did have to remove the entire control arm to do the swap. I agree, doing the whole control arm would be easier. it comes down to a $ thing. Moog might make a LCA also.

Back