• Register Today It's free!

Front Receiver Hitch

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
For all of you guys and gals wondering about the hidden hitch front receiver hitch and the install, it's worth it. It's a pretty tight fit if you have a brush guard. You're going to have to buy smaller nuts (thinner) and washers and lock washers for the bolt for the brusha guard that goes from the mounting bracket through the frame on both sides. Here are some pics:
(dead links)
the hook does not stick out much at all. maybe 1/8 of an inch more than the brush guard.

This pic shows the mounting plate for the brush guard and the bottom of the hitch. Tight fit, but the tightest fit as said above is above the pic where the bolt goes through the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id like to put a hitch on the front of my 92' how much and where did you get it.

boatsrcool, the hitch cost 130 and that included shipping from performanceproducts.com. heh thanks for the reminder tarheel085. i'll get to it... eventually.

any drilling? if i ever get a winch this is how id mount it i have decided.

no drilling for me, but i have a 97 explorer. it might be (although i doubt it) different for older explorers. all the holes were already in the frame. the air damn plastic piece that covers the radiator for me was taken off and the four screw holes that were holding that in place were used, then two larger holes were used at the top of the frame.

Looks great! And I am sure it is really useful. Do you have a boat or is this just for wheeling. I know when we go to Lake Of the Ozarks there is a lot of long boat ramps that the front hitch makes it very easy.

Two Thumbs upDead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

Hey bud

do you still have the pictures of this? I might do this and use it as a tow point or winch for off roading.

Thanks

i'll dig some up for you and email em to you. my friends server doesn't like to "serve" anymore. just let me know your email address. there are attachments that you can buy to attach a winch to the hitch. it's a 2" hitch, so the winch can be take off and put on the rear if necessairy, as long as you've got a long enough power line.

Yea I have a class 3 hitch in the rear and have used that as a tow point before to get unstuck.

Thanks

i'd appreciate it. i'm going to try to make one i think, but i may opt for the easier, yet more expensive way.

FYI

pretty inexpensive... $89 one by hidden hitch.

rated 9000lb / 300lb TW

(dead links)

hrmmmmm

soupbone... yeah 89 isn't bad at all.
i'm VERY tight on money at the moment though and we have a killer metalshop at work here with powdercoating line and everything. i can use scraps and make one just as good or better for free, assuming i can find some time somewhere! just a hassle to measure it all.
if you get that one, let me know how it works with the brush guard you have and if it works with that little space in the airdam. i was going to try to mount some tow hooks, but huge spacers would be needed to be sure you don't rig the airdamn if you have a slight sidepull. a receiver is a much better plan as i can tell.

the pics have been sent. as you can see, i have a brush guard as well as the hitch. i had to take off the brush guard and the mounts before i installed the hitch, because it's a tight fit under there. everything fits though... it's a manik one piece brush guard. let me know if you don't get them.

Thanks I got it.

I also have a manik. but its a modular guard. should be the same concept but mine is a little beat up.

I use one of these.

Dead Link Removed

I don't use the hook for towing. It's more for show and if anyone back into the front of me (which has happened). I have a tow rope that has loops on each end and put the tow pin through the loop of the tow strap. Less pieces to break off and smash a windshield, etc.

Any ideas how what happens to a front hitch when you decide to get a body lift? I've been calling around today to find a hitch, thinking I might throw one on this weekend, and it occured to me that either the air dam might get in the way when you throw on a body lift, which is in the near future for my X. I understand there may be a little trimming involved on a stock X, seems like there would be a lot more trimming on a body-lifted one.

well, with body lifts you lift the "body" of the truck essentially. the hitch as well as the bumper is attatched to the frame. if you just do a body lift the hitch will still be sitting between the bumper perfectly, however, you'll be looking goofy as heck with a bumper that's lower than where it's "supposed" to be. thus when you relocate the bumper, the hitch will be blocked off... that is unless you make custom relocation brackets for the hitch too... hope that makes sense. if it doesn't let me know and i'll try to explain better.

Do you mind sending me the pictures also. I would like to see how it works with a brushgaurd.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back