Front right tire metal rubbing noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front right tire metal rubbing noise

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
A problem just started with my truck. When I go over bumps, a metal on metal running noise occurs on the front right tire. Kind of like a hollow rubbing noise like the rotor is rubbing on the heat shield. This noise occurs at any speed. It occurs going over bumps, even slight ones, but bigger the louder. It also happens if I turn left at higher speeds putting pressure on the front right tire. This is when the noise gets really bad. Also I noticed when I go over speed bumps it makes the initial noise followed by a constant noise that eventually fades away after driving. On even ground everything is silent.

I checked the brake dust shield and it looks fine. I checked the bolt that holds the rotor onto the spindle, still is tight. I can't figure out anything else that it might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the wheel bearings if u haven't done so, and if u have (by the tire wiggle method) id still take it apart and have a visual look at them....

I figured that but I replaced them not too long ago when I put the R1 rotors on. How do you tell if the bearing is bad when I take the rotor off?

i put new bearings in my 91 and got a bad set took 2.5 months to toast em, it happens....

take the bearings out and look at the grease on em, rub it between 2 fingers felling for grit and look at the film on your finger for any "glitter" or metal particles. then take the bearings and clean em off look for "chatter marks" on the balls, next check the races. if there is no chatter or metal dust then u are probably not lookin at a bearing prob.

Interesting

One thing I did notice is the inner wheel bearing on my R1 rotor did not need a race like the stock one did. The bearing fit in the rotor perfectly without the stock race. Could this be the problem? If so, the left one is fine and everything always flowed smoothly until now

I've been reading online- def sounds like the wheel bearing. People describe it as a rail car on rails making the grinding noise- I can def relate to this. Sounds like I should go into work late tomorrow and fix this, eh?

Well the wheel bearings on the front right tire has been replaced and the noise is still present. Sigh- this sucks and is embarrasing!

Any other ideas? What if the dust shield is taken off, will that damage anything? Im trying to pinpoint this

Back