• Register Today It's free!

front rotor removal for a 95 4x4

ddrake_pgh

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
I have a 95 explorer 4x4 with a cracked front rotor. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the rotor off. Its driving me crazy. I believe the hub nut is 33 mm, which I don't believe anyone makes. Or al least no stores have it and snapon doesn't list such a socket. Looking at the new rotor I have, I can't believe that I can get it off without removing the hub nut. I would greatly appreciate any help.

dan.

you dont need to take that off. First, remove the caliper, second, remove the caliper mounting bracket (there are two big bolts in back holding it on). remove caliper mounting bracket. the rotor should slide off, if it doesnt, give it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet or even a hammer since youre not going to reuse the rotor.

rfuree11 said:
you dont need to take that off. First, remove the caliper, second, remove the caliper mounting bracket (there are two big bolts in back holding it on). remove caliper mounting bracket. the rotor should slide off, if it doesnt, give it a few good whacks with a rubber mallet or even a hammer since youre not going to reuse the rotor.

what he said... don't be afraid of the bfh.. it is your friend ;)

actually, what works really well is to spray the contact "seam" if you will between the axle flange and the rotor with a good penetrating oil, then wait 30 min then come back and tap it with a hammer... you really shouldn't have to wail on it, just tap around in a circle on the face of the rotor with a rubber mallet or ball peen hammer (remember, no claw hammer for metal) and you'll break the rust ring loose and the rotor will just pop right off

Well said. I second that. Don't touch that hub nut

Back