• Register Today It's free!

Front rotors and pads replacement

LS

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I have approx 65500 miles on my 02 Explorer XLT. After taking of my front pads the inner (double caliper side) is more worn then the outer side on both sides. The slide mechanism seems to be lubed ok. On the passenger side only the lower part of the break pad is more worn down, almost to the metal then the top portion. Does the caliper need replacing? My last set of pads wore even. I am on second set of rotors and third set of brakes shoes. The rotors I have on now were Bendix with Raybestos/Quiet Stop semi-metalic pads. The passenger front rotor has a groove from the inside pad. I believe there is enough material to get them turned down. I live in NJ and where could I take them to get them done. Off hand how much would it cost per rotor to get done? I went through most of the posts talking about the replacement of the oem brake parts. Is it better to go with something like the Power Slot rotors with Performance Friction ceramic metalic pads. Approximately how much longer would these last as compared to the regular Bendix or China rotors. Are these available at Auto Zone? Someone also mentioned the Duralast rotor. Are they good. I had bought Wagner quiet stop semi metalic pads for the front but I'm am going to hold off putting them on now because of the grooves on the rotor. The rotors had appeared to be wearing fine from the outside. How many miles are pads and rotors supposed to last. I know it probably depends on a lot of factors. Are the rotors supposed to get changed with every pad change. I am really at an impasse on which way to go. Also I live by the shore and the rotors seem to deteriorate faster. Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. LS

Back