• Register Today It's free!

Front rotors worn out unevenly

Rick98

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD
I have a 2000 ex Eddie bauer edition awd with a 5.0. Just about a week ago I got my tires replaced at a local tire shop and while it was up on the lift with all the wheels off I just took a look at my front brakes. I was just curious at how they were wearing out because I replaced rotors and pads all the way around about 3 months ago. As I checked them out the outboard side looked normally worn but the inboard side looked like it went through hell and they were the same on both passenger and driver side. What can it be? The old rotors that were replaced looked normally worn out. I don't think it's the calipers. Can it be the guides and pins. Also take into consideration that I bought the cheapest parts. I would appreciate any ideas and sorry for the life story lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type (semi metallic, ceramic, ..etc) of pads did you put on?

I have a 2000 ex Eddie bauer edition awd with a 5.0. Just about a week ago I got my tires replaced at a local tire shop and while it was up on the lift with all the wheels off I just took a look at my front brakes. I was just curious at how they were wearing out because I replaced rotors and pads all the way around about 3 months ago. As I checked them out the outboard side looked normally worn but the inboard side looked like it went through hell and they were the same on both passenger and driver side. What can it be? The old rotors that were replaced looked normally worn out. I don't think it's the calipers. Can it be the guides and pins. Also take into consideration that I bought the cheapest parts. I would appreciate any ideas and sorry for the life story lol

Inner pad wear is usually a sticking caliper piston. Outer pad wear is usually hardware (pins, lube).

Do you remember how the old pads wore?

Inner pad wear is usually a sticking caliper piston. Outer pad wear is usually hardware (pins, lube).

Do you remember how the old pads wore?

The old ones wore out just normal. Everything wore out just like it should

I also told the mechanic what was going on and he asked me what brand and where I got them from. I told him the cheapest stuff from oreillys. "Theres your problem" he told me because the quality is just so bad

I also told the mechanic what was going on and he asked me what brand and where I got them from. I told him the cheapest stuff from oreillys. "Theres your problem" he told me because the quality is just so bad

That is possible too. Cheap brake pads are not good for a heavy ex.

If you are going to do any brake job by yourself, you are saving tons of money. Take some of that money and buy the best parts you can, not the cheapest. You'll still be saving money, the brakes will perform better, and last longer.

If you are going to do any brake job by yourself, you are saving tons of money. Take some of that money and buy the best parts you can, not the cheapest. You'll still be saving money, the brakes will perform better, and last longer.

EXACTLY!!!! Buy a top brand like Wagner Thermoquiet, Motorcraft, Bendix or Hawk.

Most shops use garbage parts, and will give you a "lifetime warranty" on parts but a 3 month warranty on labor.

I watched the midas here do a brake job on someones car while I got an inspection, and they used Advance wearever Silver, which is junk that I wouldn't put on if I was going to sell a car. Even the clerks at advance say its not the greatest and its just the minimum you can buy.

That is probably what the original poster used(repackaged for another store). Those are $13 pads, so the $99 brake job will cost then another $75 a few months or a year down the line when they have to be replaced. Midas will get free replacement pads from advance, and have a customer coming back for more work every year and paying labor. They will also ruin your rotors if you wait too long, those cheap pads are very hard on rotors.

Shops also double and triple store prices for rotors, and they usually buy the "white box" bargain brand. A front brake job with new Rotors and pads in a shop is probably around $400 with tax, and that is with low end parts. Shops love brake work because it is so profitable.

Think about that when you buy parts, always buy the best if you are doing it yourself. Use rockauto and online dealers to get the best prices.

EXACTLY!!!! Buy a top brand like Wagner Thermoquiet, Motorcraft, Bendix or Hawk.

Most shops use garbage parts, and will give you a "lifetime warranty" on parts but a 3 month warranty on labor.

I watched the midas here do a brake job on someones car while I got an inspection, and they used Advance wearever Silver, which is junk that I wouldn't put on if I was going to sell a car. Even the clerks at advance say its not the greatest and its just the minimum you can buy.

That is probably what the original poster used(repackaged for another store). Those are $13 pads, so the $99 brake job will cost then another $75 a few months or a year down the line when they have to be replaced. Midas will get free replacement pads from advance, and have a customer coming back for more work every year and paying labor. They will also ruin your rotors if you wait too long, those cheap pads are very hard on rotors.

Shops also double and triple store prices for rotors, and they usually buy the "white box" bargain brand. A front brake job with new Rotors and pads in a shop is probably around $400 with tax, and that is with low end parts. Shops love brake work because it is so profitable.

Think about that when you buy parts, always buy the best if you are doing it yourself. Use rockauto and online dealers to get the best prices.

Thanks! I was just doing some research on autoanything.com. They have PowerStop slotted rotors and pads. The rotors are about $55 a piece and the pads are about $47 for the set. They also have like Brembo, EBC, and Power Slot rotors but they are up there in price. But pads are not too bad. So i'll be spending about $170 on front pads and rotors which isn't bad for high performance parts.

Yup, just noticed the truck veering to the left when braking somewhat hard. Just to be on the safe side i'll just replace both calipers. I was just wondering if I should replace the caliper mounts as well because I will be replacing the slides and pins for sure. Should I or should I not. Im not too sure what to do. I would appreciate any ideas

Instead of replacing the calipers you could get a couple caliper rebuild kits and rebuild them and save some money. It's not supposed to be that hard. I'm planning on doing that in a while.

Instead of replacing the calipers you could get a couple caliper rebuild kits and rebuild them and save some money. It's not supposed to be that hard. I'm planning on doing that in a while.

I heard the opposite about caliper rebuilding, that it's no walk in the park. I went online and found an A1cardon caliper kit which includes the caliper, pads (severe duty), mounting bracket with all new hardware and just ready to install! It just doesn't come with a new brake hose. It's been a while since I replaced a caliper but do you know if the new caliper comes with a new brakes hose bolt and washer or no?

No, the caliper will not include the hose. I agree that it makes more sense to replace the caliper rather than a rebuild.

I know the bolt that connects the hose to caliper gets reused but what about the washer?I know for a fact that a used washer shound not at all be reused. I just don't know where to get a new one from.

I believe they are either brass or copper washers, so you can reuse them.

Back