• Register Today It's free!

Front Seat Replacement

Lee Iaccoca

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC metro-area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
Trying to help out family who have a '91 EB with Tan Leather interior that's been in the family for 20 years. The front leather seats seats are shot and need to be replaced.

Have been looking at EBay to see what's available. Mostly what I see is listed as coming from 1995-2002 model Explorers.

Doing a little reading around I've seen it suggested that the seat wiring and seat-belt configuration was changed for subsequent generations of explorer past the first gen. 91-94 run.

The seats from the 1995s-2002 models look identical to the ones that were originally in the '91 my folks have, but I'm trying to avoid them taking on any hidden costs -- fixing seat belt problems, wiring problems, fitment problems -- that might emerge if I get them a decent-condition set of 95-02 front seats.

You guys have any tips on this? Do the 95-02 seats work in the first generation, 91-94 explorers without a lot of extra effort? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to avoid my folks having to change the seat-belts if I buy them a set of 95-02 front seats for their first gen EB explorer.

It's a lot easier if you just get the bottom/back leather cover pieces, and maybe the cushions if those are worn down (driver's side usually is, best to get the passenger side as a replacement if buying used). Buying a pair of seats would have some pretty high shipping costs.

There are also aftermarket companies who make replacement upholstery, the leather EB stuff being rather popular. Not exactly cheap, but it's new stuff and would eliminate all concerns about using later model hardware.

Otherwise I'd say keep an eye out on here for people parting out in or near your area, and even on craigslist and around town. You may be able to score a pair of seats, maybe even front and rear, for cheap or free, making it worth any hassle of adapting them or mixing and matching what's needed to make them work.

I put 2001 seats in my 1994. I only had to change the seatbelt rails from the old seats to the new ones. You might have to change some wiring also. good luck!

I put 2001 seats in my 1994. I only had to change the seatbelt rails from the old seats to the new ones. You might have to change some wiring also. good luck!

Me too, I have some photos of the change process. PM your email to me and I'll send you some.

i was looking around for pictures, mention of what seat-belt rails are (hadn't heard the term used before).

Are you saying you unbolted the buckle apparatus off the old seats and just swapped them with the ones on the newer, replacement seats maybe?

i was looking around for pictures, mention of what seat-belt rails are (hadn't heard the term used before).

Are you saying you unbolted the buckle apparatus off the old seats and just swapped them with the ones on the newer, replacement seats maybe?

Email with pics sent. Hope they help.

An upholstery shop can recover seats. Some have reasonable rates, especially if you are willing to have them put on the cheaper imitation leather or vinyl coverings.

Junkyard cloth seats are always an option too, as you can take the fabric off and wash it in the washing machine. A little work on the seat foam (3M spray adhesive works well for building up foams) and you can have them looking like new.

Does anyone know if front seats from a 2000 Explorer are interchangeable with a 2002 EB explorer? I found some on Craigslist and I would like to give them a go. Are there any measurements I need to be aware of? I currently have power seats.

Back