** Front Shock Absorbers **

Lhlalyam

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2002
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the midst of changing the shocks in my Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2002. I've successfully changed the rear shocks but ran into a proplem with my front shocks.

I have no problem taking of the old shock. My problem is with the new shock. It doesn't seem to extend fully to reach the top mount. This doesn't allow me to lock the new shock in with the bolt.... because the threads do not reach past the washer and rubber bushing.

I double checked with the auto parts store and they confirmed that these are the correct shocks. Any tips on getting it to work or are they the incorrect shocks?

The part number for the shocks are: Monroe 32296

Hope that helps.
Respects,
Lhalyam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to remember but I think I had this problem on my Ranger. Do you have a jack under the control arm? I think I had to too shorten the gap. You're fighting the power of the spring.

Hello,

I actually had the jack under the frame and away from the controller arm. I'm not to sure if this makes a difference?

Or would it make a difference if I put the jack under the controller arm... to give it that compression?

Lhlalyam

*EDIT*
-Just a note: I started with bolting in the bottom part first. There was no plastic tie to cut as it came out of the box fully extended. The top part of the shock positions easily into the top bracket but this is where the problem is. Once I put the rubber bushing on top along with the washer..... I can't access any thread with the bolt.

I have a first gen so my suspension set up isn't the same but I agree with muzzymaniac, it sounds like you should put the jack under the control arm to put a little pressure on the spring. If you have two jacks then leave one the way you had it and use the other one under the control arm and jack it up until you can get the shock on. If you only have one jack you can also very slowly lower the jack that's placed under the frame until a little bit of pressure is put on the spring by the weight of the truck. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the tip... I will try this out tomorrow and see what happens.

If anyone else has other thoughts or tips... please do post....

Thanks.
Respects,

Lhlalyam

Back