• Register Today It's free!

Front Shock QC question

TsherryUSA

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
Replaced my rear shocks today and pulled out my replacement front shocks. I noticed on one that the top cover (and maybe the top bolt) is a little crooked. The cover rubs the shock when compressed. Is this an issue? Should I return it for a new one?
The one on the right:
one crooked shock

New photo by Tim Sherry
Shocks are the Monroe 37122 OESpectrum: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C53R0S

Thanks,
Tim

I have had that before. I just tweaked the cover a little by hand to get it where it wasn't rubbing.

If the bolt is crooked then the shaft may be bent and is a reason to replace it. Otherwise, depends on how much work to do so, I mean since it's amazon and they should make it easy with a preprinted return label.... yeah i'd return it.

If the bolt is crooked then the shaft may be bent and is a reason to replace it. Otherwise, depends on how much work to do so, I mean since it's amazon and they should make it easy with a preprinted return label.... yeah i'd return it.

Thanks, I tried tweaking the cover as BKennedy suggested, but couldn't get it not to rub. Amazon will ship the replacement for free, so that's the route I'm going.

Thanks!

Back