• Register Today It's free!

Front shock suggestions

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I'm in desperate need of front shocks mine are pretty much non existent. Any suggestions on front shocks? I just installed the Monroe load adjusting shocks in the rear about a month ago and they're great. I'm running a tt and shackles and considering doing a 3" body lift within the next few months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Monroe gas magnum shocks on my exporer front end, so far i like them.

I use pro comps on mine, decent shocks, good $$

KYB gas adjust is what I have on my '97 they are excellent. Rancho 9000 I have on my '05 they are adjustable and excellent as well.

If you go with Pro Comp shocks, stay as far away from the ES1000 version as you can. They are akin to the bottom of the barrel auto parts house brand shock. Their bushings are garbage and the hardware is weak. Rancho is good, as well as other name brand off-road shocks, but something to look for in a quality shock is polyurethane bushings. I have the Monroe Load Leveler shocks on 2 of my Explorers and will be ditching the ES1000 Pro Comps off my '95 front in favor of a quality Monroe and poly bushings.

what about belltech or doetsch? I too am in the market for shocks and heard they have good products for stock height and lowered vehicles. Not sure about lifted although doetsch has a a couple lines of öff-road" shocks

Rancho hands down. I have the RS5000 oil filled up front and the adjustable gas filled 9000's out back. This was so I can set the things and keep the rear end from bouncing all over the place. I ended up on setting 4 of 9. Gives the perfect stiffness without making the truck get air over bumps.

I've got thge Rancho's up front and the Monroe coilovers in the back, with 2" of lift up front and 3" of lift in the back.

The Rancho's are great, just be sure to get the ones which ae longer and made for the tt lift.

MT

Back