Front Side Marker (Parking) fuse keeps blowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Side Marker (Parking) fuse keeps blowing

WhiteSport2014

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello, I've got an odd issue and have gone through a dozen 15A fuses to replace the #30 Interior Cabin fuse. The issue started randomly about a month ago. The only mods I've done are replace the stock halogen headlamps with a HID kit from Xenon Supply. Other than that, I replaced pretty much all of the exterior halogen bulbs with LEDs.
Now, I can't seem to turn the light selector on without that #30 fuse popping. I don't think it's a short as I have not done any wire cutting. The dealership told me that it's related to my HID kit so I replaced it with a higher quality kit (http://www.xenonsupply.com/ford-explorer-hid-xenon-kit.html) but the fuse keeps blowing.
Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I've got an odd issue and have gone through a dozen 15A fuses to replace the #30 Interior Cabin fuse. The issue started randomly about a month ago. The only mods I've done are replace the stock halogen headlamps with a HID kit from Xenon Supply. Other than that, I replaced pretty much all of the exterior halogen bulbs with LEDs.
Now, I can't seem to turn the light selector on without that #30 fuse popping. I don't think it's a short as I have not done any wire cutting. The dealership told me that it's related to my HID kit so I replaced it with a higher quality kit (http://www.xenonsupply.com/ford-explorer-hid-xenon-kit.html) but the fuse keeps blowing.
Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Looks like Fuse 30 only supplies the headlamps. I would disconnect your ballasts and see if it pops the fuse when you turn it on.

Also get your self a volt meter and put both probes in where the fuse goes and set it to resistance. Whole lot easier than testing and popping fuses.

How long did you have an hid kit in it before it started popping fuses?

I'd had the previous HID kit installed for at least a year with absolutely no issues. Then, this Fall, I began replacing all the exterior lights with LED bulbs. They were not 'canbus' bulbs...not sure how much that would have to do with the issue. Shortly after that is when I noticed the front marker lights were out. Replaced the fuse (not a fun experience...removing the panel which apparently has no function other than to hide the fuse box) and it popped again. Thoughts? I'll try the ballast disconnect tonight. If that is it, then would it just be a matter of finding the right ballasts? the ones I got now are not cheapies. they're canbus too.

I'd had the previous HID kit installed for at least a year with absolutely no issues. Then, this Fall, I began replacing all the exterior lights with LED bulbs. They were not 'canbus' bulbs...not sure how much that would have to do with the issue. Shortly after that is when I noticed the front marker lights were out. Replaced the fuse (not a fun experience...removing the panel which apparently has no function other than to hide the fuse box) and it popped again. Thoughts? I'll try the ballast disconnect tonight. If that is it, then would it just be a matter of finding the right ballasts? the ones I got now are not cheapies. they're canbus too.

Just have to see what the results of disconnecting does.

You have a voltmeter though?

Looks like Fuse 30 only supplies the headlamps. I would disconnect your ballasts and see if it pops the fuse when you turn it on.

Also get your self a volt meter and put both probes in where the fuse goes and set it to resistance. Whole lot easier than testing and popping fuses.

How long did you have an hid kit in it before it started popping fuses?
According to the 2014 Manual, fuse 30 is for the Front Park Lamps. Fuses 16 & 17 are for the low beams, right & left respectively. If fuse 30 blows, it should turn off both park lamps, not just one. :scratch:

Peter

According to the 2014 Manual, fuse 30 is for the Front Park Lamps. Fuses 16 & 17 are for the low beams, right & left respectively. If fuse 30 blows, it should turn off both park lamps, not just one. :scratch:

Peter

I knew something was off when it wasn't a separate fuse for each headlamp.

I look at wiring diagrams, not manuals. I was looking at the power distribution ones and saw fuse 30 going to "headlamp assembly". I somehow thought headlights instead of just a wire leading to the headlamp assembly itself.

My bad.

Best thing to do now is disconnect the main headlight connector to the assemblies on each side and see which side is causing the issue. When the side that is disconnected and doesn't blow the fuse is figured out then you can start seeing which bulb is probably causing the issue.

I disconnected both ballasts and the #30 fuse popped again. Normally, I'd just blow the whole issue off and deal with just not having front marker lights since everything else works perfectly, but I've got a State Inspection coming up in March and am worried that they'll tell me that 'all your exterior lights have to work in order to pass inspection'. So...volt meter...yes, I have one. Thoughts and suggestions anyone?

I disconnected both ballasts and the #30 fuse popped again. Normally, I'd just blow the whole issue off and deal with just not having front marker lights since everything else works perfectly, but I've got a State Inspection coming up in March and am worried that they'll tell me that 'all your exterior lights have to work in order to pass inspection'. So...volt meter...yes, I have one. Thoughts and suggestions anyone?
Just to clarify, you are talking about the Parking Lamps, aren't you? The ones that also act as the turn signals.
If so, have you actually checked the bulbs and their sockets to ensure that there isn't anything that is causing a short? If fuse 30 blows, the parking lamps and front signal lights won't work since they are the same bulb.

Peter

I am referring to what the owners manual lists as the "front sidemarker" and also as "Front park lamps", Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel fuse #30 . They're small amber T10 lights behind the turn signal lights within the assembly.

I am referring to what the owners manual lists as the "front sidemarker" and also as "Front park lamps", Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel fuse #30 . They're small amber T10 lights behind the turn signal lights within the assembly.
Therefore you have no parking/signal lights either then since fuse 30 controls them. Right?

Peter

I apologize, yes, correct. No front parking lights either but the turn signals work fine. Just no amber lights any where inside the headlight assembly. Could it be the non-canbus LED turn signal bulbs I have in there now?

I apologize, yes, correct. No front parking lights either but the turn signals work fine. Just no amber lights any where inside the headlight assembly. Could it be the non-canbus LED turn signal bulbs I have in there now?
Not sure about the LED signal bulbs but I don't think they should be working since fuse 30 controls both the parking and signal lights. If fuse 30 is blown, the signals shouldn't be functional. :scratch:

Peter

My latest plan is going to return all the LEDs with the stock halogen bulbs and leave the HID kit installed. I'll see if that fixes it. I'm thinking that is when the parking/marker lights decided to go out...after I replaced all the halogen bulbs.

Just replaced all LED bulbs and guess what...those front marker lamps work now. However, I think I also narrowed down the issue to the front left turn signal. The halogen bulb burned out pretty much immediately. All other lights working but now I don't have a left turn signal. Got to go get a new halogen bulb and test the voltage to see what's going on with that socket.
Getting those turn signal bulbs in and out is a real pain. The wires are incredibly short and the angle you need to back those bulbs out is awkward to say the least. :mad:

Update: got new turn signal bulb (stock halogen), lights up, but now, no flashy. Either way. Right or left. Won't blink when turn signal switched. Hazard lights flash. No turn signal now. This is like an enigma. Checked both 'turn signal' fuses under the dash as well. Those are fine.

Update #2 and hopefully final...guess what? You have to actually turn the engine on for the turn signals to flash.
So, everything is working again...lesson learned...do NOT replace any halogen bulbs with LED bulbs on 2014 Explorer Sport. They look cool but apparently really screw with what ever electrical technology Ford is using on said model.
It's a shame because everything in the auto industry seems to be going LED these days and Ford doesn't make it easy for any aftermarket kits to play well with their parts.

Back