• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front Spindle swap Question?

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
I trashed my front bearings and spindle on my 91. Are the Spindles that come on the manual locking hubs the same spindle on the Auto locking hubs? I need to get a Spindle from the yard and if I can't find an Ex with Manual hub are the Spindles on the Auto hubs the same..
I'm thinking there the same. Because was looking at kits to change from Auto hubs to manual hubs they don't show you need to change the spindle..

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Yes, same. If you're going to pull some off an Ex with auto hubs, make sure you know about the little key in the inner hub and how to remove it.

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
Yes, same. If you're going to pull some off an Ex with auto hubs, make sure you know about the little key in the inner hub and how to remove it.
Yes I found that out. Had a hell of a time figuring how to remove that key. Found a piece of thin metal mesh off a tweeter. Was able to rip the screen into a point and slip it between the nut above the key and pulled it out. Then there was some other weird thing I guess some sensor I basically pounded it off hahaha. Then there was this bolt on the back and didn't bring any small wrenches but found someone who let me used there crescent wrench then finally!!!!!!! it came off! hahaha

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Yes I found that out. Had a hell of a time figuring how to remove that key. Found a piece of thin metal mesh off a tweeter. Was able to rip the screen into a point and slip it between the nut above the key and pulled it out. Then there was some other weird thing I guess some sensor I basically pounded it off hahaha. Then there was this bolt on the back and didn't bring any small wrenches but found someone who let me used there crescent wrench then finally!!!!!!! it came off! hahaha
I'm usually able to get a magnet to work in getting the keeper out, you right though they are a pain. The sensor was for the ABS. It's the wheel speed sensor. Explorers got 4 wheel ABS in 93.