Front Stabilizer Bar link and bolt. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Stabilizer Bar link and bolt.

le33sw

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct section.

Car: Explorer 1999 4x4, 115k miles, 4.0 OHV. I live in Vancouver. Currently has winter tyres – this is the only pair I have.

First, a big thank you to everyone who helped me with my earlier problems.

I now have another problem.

While on a longish drive (somewhere near Bend, Oregon), the ABS light lit up (amber colour). I stopped, peeked under the four wheels, found nothing out of the ordinary. So continued driving to Vancouver.

Over the w/e, I had to undertake an essential drive (300 miles). The light was still on, with no undue sounds so to speak. So I carried on. About 100 miles on, I noticed that there was a definite humming noise coming from the front offside wheel – sounded like a noisy wheel bearing. When I got the chance, I peeked under the vehicle. To my horror, I noticed that the front stabilizer bar link and the bolt [the bits that hold the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm] were missing altogether on BOTH sides. I drove back as sympathetically as I could.

Questions:
1. Are there any serious long term consequences of driving without the stabilizer bar fixed as it should be?
2. I read that a recall has been made by ford due to “The front-stabilizer-bar link stud can fracture from bending fatigue” – is this true
3. Could the wheel bearing noise be related?

Many thanks in advance

The only thing you'll notice is a definite side-to-side rolling feeling since the stabilizer links have broken off. Long-term consequences? No way.

They're easy to replace and they're cheap.

Humming? I don't know how the missing links could cause any type of humming.

Front Stabilizer 'link+Bolt" close to ABS sensor Right-front

Front Stabilizer Bar "Link + Bolt" is very very close to the ABS sensor line
on the Right Side;
could this cause the secondary effect you described?
ABS system alarm?

Back