Front strut replacement 2013 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front strut replacement 2013 Ford Explorer

Robert Bell

Reaction score
City, State
Saint charles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
I'm a new member to this forum. I installed some Monroe Quick struts on my Explorer and I'm having issues with a clunking noise when turning at a standstill or in a parking lot. The ride is pretty smooth just driving straight and over bumps. Has anyone had issues with Monroe Quick struts before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like typical strut bearing noise. Assuming they were good to start with maybe you installed them wrong. Some guesses are over torqued them and maybe deformed them. Maybe rust, or debri was under the area they mount to do they did not sit level and possibly deformed them when tightening. Was the top where the three bolts hold them into the strut tower a universal fit or did the bolt holes only line up one way? Consider anything unusual in that portion of the job. Maybe they were bad to start with. I have used quick struts in past also and the quality did not impress me.

I’d start with loosening and retorquing the three strut mount bolts on the offending side.

Sounds like typical strut bearing noise. Assuming they were good to start with maybe you installed them wrong. Some guesses are over torqued them and maybe deformed them. Maybe rust, or debri was under the area they mount to do they did not sit level and possibly deformed them when tightening. Was the top where the three bolts hold them into the strut tower a universal fit or did the bolt holes only line up one way? Consider anything unusual in that portion of the job. Maybe they were bad to start with. I have used quick struts in past also and the quality did not impress me.

I’d start with loosening and retorquing the three strut mount bolts on the offending side.

Thanks for the info my mistake was I threw away the old stock Ford struts and put these Monroe's in because they were working good for about three weeks so now I'm at the salvage yard found some struts with 30,000 miles installing them now. My question is the top hat orientation there is an arrow and a notch. Which way does that arrow point because the guys at the salvage yard we're were spinning the bearing to show me it was good.

Robert - I really don't know which way the arrow/notch goes. A quick google search looks like it has something to do with setting the camber. I found this on a ford site. I would see if you can look up into the strut tower to find where the notch was on the old struts by the dirt/rust mark left behind. You can also go to a shop to check alignment after your done to be extra safe.

Decompress and remove the spring. Remove the dust boot and jounce bumper.
 To maintain wheel camber:
 position the notch and arrow on the upper strut mount outboard opposite the locator tab on the strut.
 To adjust camber +0.5 degrees:
 position the notch and arrow on the upper strut mount inboard aligned with the locator tab on the strut.

Thanks for the info my mistake was I threw away the old stock Ford struts and put these Monroe's in because they were working good for about three weeks so now I'm at the salvage yard found some struts with 30,000 miles installing them now. My question is the top hat orientation there is an arrow and a notch. Which way does that arrow point because the guys at the salvage yard we're were spinning the bearing to show me it was good.
Welcome to the Forum Robert.:wave:

Peter

Back