Front suspension question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension question...

abaan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Exporer 2004
I live on Caraiben island, drive a Ford Explorer 2004 2wd 4 doors, 100000KM/65000 Miles, the garage advise me to replace :

Lower Ball joint ,2cpmf
Steering and suspension -Tie rods inner both sides. 2cpmf
Replace upper Arm Boll Joint,both sides,
Front stabilizer link+ Bushing 2cpmf

I get an estimate about 1800 US dollar.....
lI was a little bit shocked and look on Ford parts Web sites, find out that when I should buy an total kit
of the parts and sent the to my island the total amount of all the parts should not rise above the 350 US incl. transport and taxes.

Looks the above story reasonable? Or can give an advice?Advise a part website??
Thanx so far..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live on Caraiben island, drive a Ford Explorer 2004 2wd 4 doors, 100000KM/65000 Miles, the garage advise me to replace :

Lower Ball joint ,2cpmf
Steering and suspension -Tie rods inner both sides. 2cpmf
Replace upper Arm Boll Joint,both sides,
Front stabilizer link+ Bushing 2cpmf

I get an estimate about 1800 US dollar.....
lI was a little bit shocked and look on Ford parts Web sites, find out that when I should buy an total kit
of the parts and sent the to my island the total amount of all the parts should not rise above the 350 US incl. transport and taxes.

Looks the above story reasonable? Or can give an advice?Advise a part website??
Thanx so far..
@abaan
What problems experienced lead you to feel need to repair? Steering problems, noise, lack of control moving forward? All are suspension concerns. What made you seek help to begin with? imp

Hi Imp,thanx for replay....,no steering problem, but a boing every time I hit a road obstacle (bad roads here), the upper ball joint looks broken, and there is backlash between the tie rods....that,s what the garage man said....
I was looking to USA part dealers and saw that prices for parts I need were very, very cheap than here on the island....
Other thing is that the stock in Garages on the island is minimal and the change to get different brandnames or not the part number belongs to the car I have
is very big.
Therefore I was looking to a total kit like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pc-Suspe...ash=item43eceda1e9:g:XoQAAOSwpDdU81zk&vxp=mtr

I hope you can guide me a little bit....I am Dutch..so I hope you understand mine English,
thanx so far, Abaan.

Most here would advise avoiding unusually cheap eBay suspension kits of unknown brands and quality. Also, don't be mislead by identical part numbers listed, they tend to be universal. 10 piece parts kit for $100 may seem like a bargain, but you really get what you pay for with front end parts and safety should be a priority here. If you search the forum a few have reported ball joint and other failures with these kits in
as little as six months. Here are a few links that may be helpful to you. Good luck.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-packagedeal059

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2004,explorer,4.0l+v6,1427767,suspension,front+end+kit,15413?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

FREE Online Repair Info
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ankshaft-position-sensor.449702/#post-3564162

Hi SWSHawai,thanx for your replay, good advise, thanx gain.

Hola Abaan,

I live near the Caribbean coast in Mexico and just want to give you some info for comparisons. About a year ago I had the Upper and Lower ball joints and the tie rod ends replaced on my '05 V8 Exp. Parts cost me about 110$ US and labor was a little less. The parts were a good quality local brand. If you can get an order from Rock Auto (as has been suggested) you may be better off. If you can't or don't want to do the labor, then you are at the mercy of the garage. Locally here in Mexico I like to get separate parts and labor costs so I can compare local costs with that of importing parts.

Skipper F

Hola Abaan,

I live near the Caribbean coast in Mexico and just want to give you some info for comparisons. About a year ago I had the Upper and Lower ball joints and the tie rod ends replaced on my '05 V8 Exp. Parts cost me about 110$ US and labor was a little less. The parts were a good quality local brand. If you can get an order from Rock Auto (as has been suggested) you may be better off. If you can't or don't want to do the labor, then you are at the mercy of the garage. Locally here in Mexico I like to get separate parts and labor costs so I can compare local costs with that of importing parts.

Skipper F
Hola Skipper, I think that you are in the same position like me,I live here already for 26 six years,so I know how latino is working.
Yes,I was looking in Rock Auto,after the tip I Get from a member. Thanx for inform me, keep you updated, gr. Abaan.

1AAuto is an online retailer that has the parts you need at very reasonable prices plus they have great videos showing how to install for some of your list. In US they usually have free shipping but not sure to your location. On the upper ball joints I changed out the entire Upper Control arm assembly part and it was fairly painless. Here is a link to one of their videos.

1AAuto is an online retailer that has the parts you need at very reasonable prices plus they have great videos showing how to install for some of your list. In US they usually have free shipping but not sure to your location. On the upper ball joints I changed out the entire Upper Control arm assembly part and it was fairly painless. Here is a link to one of their videos.

Thanx,I like this help....

I hope you can guide me a little bit....I am Dutch..so I hope you understand mine English,
thanx so far, Abaan.
@abaan
Your English is just fine! @swshawaii has given better advice than I could. imp

Back