• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension rebuild

jcs512

Reaction score
City, State
Austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have to admit that the task seemed a little overwhelming at first but after reading various threads on here I completed it in just a few hours. New upper control arms new lower ball joints all with grease fittings. It drives like a new truck! No more banging clunking or walking all over the place when you hit a bump. About a month ago I changed the rack out due to a bent tie rod. All that is left is a power steering line two tires and an alignment. Still not too bad for a free truck with working A/C.
IMAG0336_zps0ee2a8c5.jpg

IMAG0341_zps96e6e407.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When i got the lower joints out and inspected them I discovered the ball parts were pitted and rusty. That goes towards my theory of binding during turning. 188k miles what can you expect

Just plain old no name eBay junk. 69 bucks for the control arms and the lower joints. I know you get what you pay for but a budget build is a budget build. I'm going to lower it next week. I'm plan on just having fun with it. Throw some parts at it every now and then

Weird thing was they all had grease fittings except the drivers side upper it was a sealed unit

Back