Front Sway Bar Endlink Rebuild?.....what parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Sway Bar Endlink Rebuild?.....what parts?

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I have searched the site, and couldn't find any write-ups on the process...

I am specifically looking for the Energy Suspension (or Daystar) part numbers to replace the rubber at the top and bottom of the end links.

Anybody have any insight on this?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

60123 is the embossed number on mine. Plus the steel sleeve.

Don't they come in a kit?

It's been so long I can't remember how hard it was so it must have been pretty easy.

The bushings are circled in red. This is the full Poly bushing kist from Explorer Express

Attachments

• bushings_poly.jpg
    bushings_poly.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 663

The write up posted above was done on a 99....they use a different end link style than the 91-94.

I have the Energy Suspension catalog here, and nowhere do I find that part number 60123 anywhere....the search continues.

Ryan

Thank you!

Ryan

$26.99 plus shipping for Moogs?

You can get the whole front set (sway bar, end links, etc.) in Energy Suspension for $25

http://www.suspension.com/fordtruck4wd.html

Kit #4.5115 (says 4WD but the sway bars and endlinks should be the same)

You can find them for even less on ebay, $20.77 (or best offer) plus $9.95 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ener...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or just order the end link bushings with sleeves if that's all you need. The end link bushings are the same size from front to rear, but the rear kit just includes four bushings with slotted centers to go around the rubber crud usually left over from removing the stock bushings that were attached to the frame mounting bolts.

I like the ES ones because the black bushings are graphite impregnated, so they don't squeak as bad, although they do still need some lube, and re-lubing after a few years, too.

I have EE sway bars, so I need to order JUST the endlink bushings.

The Suspension Restoration place has some numbers, but they are not the PART numbers that I need...

Anyone have a clue as to what part numbers I need for JUST the Endlink Bushings?

Or does someone just have the specs or the End Links (ID & width), so I can order the parts from Summit?

Ryan

The suspension.com site has the part numbers, and the endlink-only grommet kits as well:

http://www.suspension.com/fordtruck2.htm

Very right side - under the "A" style set text and above the "B" style set text;

Endlink Grommets &
Inner Sleeves - Only
For 'A' Style

8) 4902 Grommets
4) 15.10.31.39 Sleeves
$14.00

(from the 4.5115 sway bar kit)

Also at the bottom of the page, just above where it says "Go to page 3 for FORD TRUCK Spring Eye Bushing Sets"

1999-3/99

8) 4902 endlink grommets,
that have a 1.145" O.D.(29.08 mm)

with 4) sleeves(15.10.31.39)
to fit the 'A' style
8) Endlink grommets
& 4) inner sleeves only.
Part #B4902/31G
$14.00

So apparently the bushings are number 4902.

Might be able to get them from Summit, apparently ~$2 each if they still carry singles.

The $14 kit might be cheaper than 8 bushings at $2 each though, depending on shipping, handling, discounts, etc.

I searched Summits site, and I couldn't get ANYTHING close to that number to come up for me. I tried all variants, ending in G or R (preferred).....

Nothing. I will see if I have a spare set of end links, and measure what I have.

Ryan

You should be able to get the 4902 grommets through Summit, if they still carry them as singles. Various other posts on the internet reference them as a source, and the price being $2 each.

The #B4902/31G is likely a kit number specific to suspension.com, as they sell a lot of kits and seperate bushing sets noone else does.

The O.D. on the part of the grommet that goes into the end link should be 1.145" (or 29.08mm) as listed on the site and noted above. No mention of the width or ear size is given.

Sure seems like it would just be easier to order the parts directly from suspension.com.

The whole reason I didn't want to order from them, is the lead time on the Red Bushings is over a month!

I couldn't find the part from ANYWHERE else. And there are only 2 ways to get that part number.

a) Buy the WHOLE kit, which I don't need.

-or-

b) Buy in Bulk.....as in place an order directly from Energy Suspension for about 800 of them. At just under $2.00 each.....

So I called Suspension Restoration, and ordered 2 sets. One for the Front, and one for the Rear.

And about this time NEXT MONTH, I will be getting my bushings!!

Ryan

I should have posted earlier, I ended up getting this kit for my front swaybar: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-K8657

The top two rows in the picture fit together in the endlinks, and the metal sleeve slipped in. I bolted it up and have been driving for a week with no problems. VERY glad to have the swaybar back in place.

It's been a while since I saw the 91-94 sway bar links. I have bought my share of sway bars and parts before, and they usually are not ideal each time. Addco makes poor hardware as example.

Energy Suspension generally makes the best urethane bushings and hardware, but they also make smaller versions, kits with smaller diameter bushings than other larger bushing which they make.

When I installed my Addco front bar, I first had bought an ES end link kit, plus I had spare pieces from a previous kit. I ended up using the largest ES bushings, the spacer links from one kit, and the bolts from the Addco hardware. That gave me the best length and largest bushings. Meaning you should search carefully for the best parts, they are not all the same.

Did you call Summit to ask about the 4902's in red if that's what you wanted? A lot of other places seem to stock the reds, Suspension Restoration only stocks the black since they are graphite impregnated to help prevent squeaks, plus it looks more OEM like black rubber bushings.

Addco's end links are pretty standard zinc-plated stuff, but their bushings suck! Cheap clear urethane, or maroon colored stuff. Energy Suspension stuff is definitely the way to go, though Daystar and Prothane don't seem too shabby either.

Also, the bushings will likely be the smooth center ones if ordered seperately, since the 4 ridged center ones probably only come as part of the rear swaybar kit..or maybe they have their own bushing number. Not that it really matters, but it does help in turning the bolts without spinning the bushing. I cleaned off the bolts too well when installing mine, so even with the ridged bushings in there, they still spin.

Yeah, I called Summit, and they don't stock the 4902 bushings. The guy at Summit was really nice though, he gave me the direct line to call ES, that is when I found out about the bulk order thing...

Then I just broke down, and called Suspension Restoration and ordered the bushings.

Ryan

www.energysuspensionparts.com seems to be the only other big source, though they don't list individual bushings. They just have an email form and live chat, but maybe you could inquire there as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I talked to Energy Suspension directly. They told me I could buy the 4902 bushing....if I bought about $1500 worth of them!

So I ordered them from Suspension Restoration, and I will have them in 3 weeks and 6 days....But who's counting! LOL

Ryan

Back