Front Sway Bar Links or Bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Sway Bar Links or Bushings?

Webslinger

Reaction score
OK, so excited here to post the problems I'm having with my 1996 Exp, this will be the second post of the day.
Problem - Exp swaying/rocking side to side a lot when hitting bumps, especially in turns at freeway speed, and a noticeable clunk when hitting speed bumps or dips at slow speeds.
My mechanic replaced the front sway bar links. Exp rides great now. All of those previous problems are gone except for a noticeable and very annoying squeak when I hit said speed bumps, dips, etc.
I would have thought the replacement of the sway bar links would solve that issue, but apparently not.
Are we talking bushings now? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old shocks can squek to. How old are your shocks?

Old shocks can squek to. How old are your shocks?

I don't believe the shocks have been replaced since I've owned the car, so 13 years. Geez, that sounds bad.
OK, so shocks would be a good place to start it sounds like. If they're not broken, but just squeaking can they be lubed? Does the squeak mean it's time to replace them?

Getting new bushes in one place can add stress to the older parts causing a squeak.
Squirt the suspect part with water to see if that stops it then you can decide if it needs to be replaced or lubed.
Don't use mineral oil on rubber parts it will destroy them.
You can get rubber grease.

Getting new bushes in one place can add stress to the older parts causing a squeak.
Squirt the suspect part with water to see if that stops it then you can decide if it needs to be replaced or lubed.
Don't use mineral oil on rubber parts it will destroy them.
You can get rubber grease.

Very nice. Thank you.

Back