• Register Today It's free!

Front tires leaning badly.

windsors03cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Racine WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0 AWD EB
So my 99 AWD 5.0 has a Ford Twin Traction Beam like sagging disease, I thought maybe the torsion bars were getting weak and saggin a piece (whole truck sags like a grandmaw) so I tightened the the key adjusters the last 3/8" and all that did was make the front sit up 2" higher and my wife to complain its hard to get into. :thumbdwn:

Truck has 183k on it and is original in the front, save for lower ball joints 60k ago and wheel bearings 30k ago. A co worker suggested my upper control arms are most liklely shot and that it is common on these trucks and that I should replace them go and get it aligned and the aligners will add an alignment kit and I will be good to go. The ball joints dont feel bad but maybe they wouldnt be as loose as I'm gussing they would ?

Poor truck is killing the inner edge on the passenger side where the lean is worse than the driver side which is not wearing tires as funny as quick but its leaning none the less.
The truck is getting higher up in the miles and showing its age a bit so I want to get some add a leafs in the back and get the truck sitting level and pretty once again.
Hope to drive it another 5 years and 50 thousand miles more, the bodycan is holding up pretty good altho the drivers door could stand a new latch and door lock actuator.

Any opinions and ideas appreciated, I wish I had a picture and can post one tommorow if neccesary. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Set the front end to the correct ride height. Check all suspension components for excessive wear, replace as necessary. Get the rear of the truck at the correct ride height, replace springs (AAL?) or any other excessively worn parts.

After that's done, have the front end aligned and you should be all set to go.

Upper ball joints i'd bet.

First, you do not have a twin traction beam suspension on your 99. They discontinued that for the '95 model year.

Second, it could be any or all of the steering or suspension components causing the problem (and being compounded by the torsion bar crank). Have a competent alignment shop check it out. 5 minutes on the hoist and the problems will be apparent.

And get a set of camber adjusters for each side. You need 4 total, or, one kit per side.

Do you mean the one that ROCKAUTO lists on their webpage?

"MOOG Part # K80065 {Caster Camber Cam Bolt}
Frt Susp; Problem Solver; adjustment range from -1-5/8 to +1-5/8 Deg."

My last visit to the alignment shop told me that my camber was beyond stock adjustments and I needed a camber kit...

I too would say upper control arms. Also, sway bar bushings and end links. Mine were also leaning some in the front until I made these replacements, though mine had not tgotten bad enough for the tire wear you are experiencing. If you still have original shocks, replace those as well. Monroe reflex are great shocks for our trucks. And re-adjust torsions bars back to original settings.

Back