• Register Today It's free!

front tow hook on 2000 sport?

soupbone

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4WD
Anybody have front hooks on a newer (98 to 2000)model explorer? I got some hooks but the front bumper/airdam sort of blocks the access to them.

Any ideas.......?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many members on the site have used blocks to lower the hook so that it sticks out. Try using the search engine to look for "tow hook" and "block".

Its at the right height so there is no need to lower it. Its just to the right/left of the airdam inlet. Yea I searched and found nother guy( Jefe ) with the problem too. His site has pics of it.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

See how the bumperplastic blocks access to the hook. Hrmm I think im SOL.

Thanks anyways Alec

Ok looking at it again would it be ok to bolt the hook to the brush guard mounting bracket? The bracket is bolted to the frame. It would poke right out of the airdam and fit perfect. Or is this unsafe...?

that's an idea! i have a brush guard, too and wonder if i could put tow hooks on it. it is bolted directly to the frame, sooooo what do y'all think?

soupbone,

On my setup, yes they are just behind the air dam, but I've used them a few times, and they work fine without damage to the bumper/air dam.

As for attaching a hook to the brushgaurd mounting bracket that may or may not be ok depending on thickness of steel, etc, but bolting them to the brush guard itself probably isn't a good idea.

Thanks Jefe,

Im going to ask a friend who run a tow rig business if that bracket is ok. If not ill use the usual mounting spot to the frame.

by the way 4 wheels parts has a deal for procomp 2"x30' tow strap with free black tow hooks for $26

hey, soupbone...have you heard anything on this yet? i would love to know whatever you find out. thanks!

bump

The guy looked at it and i said it should be ok. Ill ask another dude (installer) is it ok also. If its all good ill take pics of it. I hope it is because the bracket blocks the place where id normally mount the hooks on the frame. If anybody has any comments on this please put your 2 cents in. I dont want to screw anything up.

Back