front wheel bearing needs replacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearing needs replacing

chrisc-54

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 sport
I went in today to get my 1991 ford explorer after a wheel alignment and they told me i needed a new right front wheel bearing? can i replace 1 at a time or is that wrong? and im told i need to get the whole wheel bearing and hub assembly, it is vitrually impossible to find one for a 1991 explorer on the internet ive been trying hard does anyone no where or what site i could find one from? thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about auto hubs but all the part stores have or can get the parts for you. Maybe something about auto locking hubs that I don't know but with manual hubs, just because you need a new wheel bearing does not mean you need a hub too! Check around, make sure you aren't being taken!

You do not have to do both sides at once but I think most people do. Look around this site there are several threads that talk about the tourqeing of them if you are going to do it yourself...

When i called lorco the local auto part place they said they cant sell the front bearing singly it comes in a hub assembly bearing package

i just got new locking hubs, i know i dnt need those i need front wheel bearings, does anyone have any idea how i go about that, i looked up front wheel bearsings for 1991 ford explorer on every part site and cannot find a single part even for the ones with the hub assembly bearing

Try a different parts store, that one doesn't seem to know their stuff.
If they say you need a whole assembly, they probably are looking at a later generation.
You can buy just the wheel bearings, there's two bearings in each side. They are the same part, not a right and left or anything.
Yes, you can do just one side.

Is your Ex 4WD?

thanks alot, i called canadiantire and they have just the bearings not the asembly works perfect, and yes it is a 4X4, also i noticed while taking sharp turns in 4X4 my tires seem to lock up and skid for split seconds at a time, could it be my bearing causing this.

If your doing the inner bearing, grab a new seal while your at it.

And make sure you change the races as well as bearings, they should come as a set (one bearing and one race per box)

Yup Crappy Tire was where I got the bearings/races for mine and only changed the right side. You can do the job yourself as long as you have a in/lb torque wrench and a socket 2 & 3/8 inches if memory serves, mine is in the garage and I'm too lazy to check.
The only thing you might need to do is have a garage press out and reinstall the races. Otherwise it is a relatively quick and easy job.

Back