Front wheel bearing preload nut torque specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing preload nut torque specs

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
What is the correct torque for the front wheel bearing preload nut? I didn't see it in my Haynes.. My X violently shakes on the highway from 62 to 69mph. I was going to check the wheelbearings to start eliminating things. They don't feel loose, but it won't hurt to check 'm over and do it right with the torque wrench. I have a 94 Sport, BTW.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my Haynes on page 1-3 it says:

Front hub adjustment nut (1994 and earlier 4wd models)
Manual locking hubs
Step 1 .............................. 35
Step 2 .............................. Back off 1/4 turn
Step 3 ..............................16 in-lbs
Step 4 (outer locknut) ..... 150
Endplay ........................... 0 to 0.003 inch
Hub turning torque (max) 25 in-lbs

Automatic locking hubs
Step 1 ............................... 35
Step 2 ............................... Back off 1/4 turn
Step 3 ............................... 16 in-lbs
Endplay ............................. 0 to 0.003 inch
Hub turning torque (max) 25 in-lbs

Hope this helps

Thanks.. I guess I just overlooked that in my manual.. My X is a 2wd, but I guess the specs would be the same?

Thanks

No they are not the same check the page 1-3

For two wheel drive:

Step 1 ........... 17 to 25
Step 2 ........... Back off 1/2 turn
Step 3 ........... 18 to 20 in-lbs

Ok.

Which one is the preload nut? I recently took apart my entire front axle and replaced my beams and put it back together again. Is it that big nut that threads onto the spindle with the little lockpin thing that inserts into it? I couldnt find a wrench or a socket big enough to fit over this nut. My X does vibrate now at about 65 or 70. It also makes clicking noises when I turn the wheels and Im not moving(like when parking). I am just curious to make sure nothing is busted or installed wrong...

hmmm...well i just kinda put mine on finger-tight...I couldnt find a big enough socket anywhere around town. I probly shouldnt be driving around like that eh?

Back