front wheel bearing races and rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearing races and rotors

Sir Robin

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
'94 XLT 4X4 - will hit 200k miles this week or next week.

I think its time to replace my front wheel bearings. (I can hear the right side squeel/hum slightly at lower speeds; noisy turning one way - quiet turning the other way.) Hopefully I wont be needing a new spindle.
Earlier in the vehicle's life I had changed my auto hubs to manuals, and had replaced the rotors once, so I'm comfortable doing the work.

I have done rotor and bearing replacements on my '89 VW GTI. On that car, the races (on the rear) had to be pressed in and out of the rotor. A new rotor did not have integral races. If I needed new rear rotors, I had to get the races out of the old and into the new.

My question is: On the Ex., do the races have to be pressed into the front rotors, or are they integral? I can't remember what the arrangement was like since it was a while since my hub job and rotor replacement.

Thanks a bunch - I did search the board and look at my Haynes, but didn't get an answer.

Well when I bought my last rotors the races were pressed in them when I bought the rotors so I didn't have to worry.

Yes the races are pressed into the rotor. With a BFH you can get the old ones out and the new ones in.
If they are not worn you can re-use the old races, but dont tell anyone I said that.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

That's what I thought - races included in new rotors.

I'll probably replace the pads and rotors at the same time as the bearings. I just hope that I don't do more extensive damage (like the spindle) until I can do it this weekend.

Back