Front Wheel Bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, without difficulty.

Note that for this drawing, the tooling is used to push the drive shaft inboard away from and out of the splined hub.

All I did was place a wooden block on the end of the shaft and tapped (not hard!) with a two-pound sledge. The shaft slid out easily.

Good Luck.

You can get that puller on loan at any autozone store. I just did. I gave a $20 deposit and got it all back a week later, No Problem. It it a lot easier that with wood blocks. You will take the risk of bending the shaft by hitting it.

Dude -

You don't want to beat on that spindle anymore than you want someone beating on your feet - the knee joint.

You beat on that thing, you might get it loose, but every pound might further damage the joint where the halfshaft connects.

You don't need the Ford tool.

You can buy one (if you are planning on working on vehicles, it is a worthy, anger-saving investment.) I got mine for about 30 bucks, and I can use it for a lot of other things.

You can rent, as the other poster said, a three jaw puller. All you need is a cc. You don't need to buy anything.

It hasn't been my experience that those bearings come off easy. The bolts that hold the bearing on there, in fact, I think are an unholy *****. I recommend a healthy dose of anti-seize once you get all the mating surfaces clean, too..

Good luck!

-Shawn

Help....I am replacing my front wheel bearing with a rented hub puller and the darn thing won't budge. Hub retaining bolts (3) are out as is the axle nut. Still no luck getting that bearing to come out. How medieval can I get? Tech at the auto dealer mentioned that he sometimes has to use an air chisel on the backside of the bearing to get it to break loose from the knuckle.

Any suggestions?

Help....I am replacing my front wheel bearing with a rented hub puller and the darn thing won't budge. Hub retaining bolts (3) are out as is the axle nut. Still no luck getting that bearing to come out. How medieval can I get? Tech at the auto dealer mentioned that he sometimes has to use an air chisel on the backside of the bearing to get it to break loose from the knuckle.

Any suggestions?

Hmm, for sure (see High Order's post) I would not beat on it if stuck. Mine came out very, very easily. If it is stuck I am afraid I am no help to you, but I'll give you a bump.

If it is totally stuck, perhaps you have to pull out the axle shaft assembly with the bearing and have a shop separate them. Sorry, don't know.

Hm

Are you using a three jaw or the bolt on one?

What are you using to turn the rod with? (You might need a breaker)

Spray some penetrant down in there, then tap lightly around the edges.

Failing that, if you KNOW what you're doing, clean the surfaces of flammables, get a propane torch and LIGHTLY heat it while someone else cranks the puller.

You sure you have everything removed that needs to come off? I should have a thread around here somewhere with pictures.....

-Shawn

You do not have to buy anything at the store. You have to give $20 deposit to loan it. After you use it you will bring it back and get your $20 bucks back. If you want to keep it, no problem because the tool costs $20 anyway. The tool is on the "Loan a Tool" list. Go to their web page, select a store location and you can see it.
I put the deposit on my credit card and the returned it back to the card so no out of pocket money.

I am using a hub puller similar to the illustration shown in the first post. Bolts on to three of the lugnut studs and jack screw applies force onto the center of the halfshaft. Using a breaker here for sure. Tried tapping and rapping various points (not aggressive) but no heat. Might give that a try. Didn't do much for the environment with all of the penetrant that I used. Figgered the worst was over after backing out the three bolts holding the hub assy to the knuckle. Boy was I wrong. Pretty sure that I've extracted everything that could possibly holding it on...besides the axle nut and three bolts from the backside...what's left? Caliper and rotor gone, too.

Is there a How to step by step to replace front wheel bearing somewhere here? I need to replace my front drivers side. 2003 explorer xlt V8 4x4. Any help would be great thanks

finfam

Yeah. High_Order1 posted a nice treatise on Jan, 2007. "How I Changed My '05's Front Wheel Bearings"

Back