Front Wheel Bearings

Ford-Ex-2009

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey Everyone

I've been a watched on these forums for a while, and I finally figured I would pick the more knowledgeable ones heads.

I'm doing the front wheel bearings on my X this weekend, It's not a 4x4, so I figured / worked out it's a simple job. BUT, what exactly would I need. For both sides.

I figured,
2 x Inner Bearings
2 x Outer Bearings
2 x Wheel Seals
Lithium Grease.

Anything I left out?

What about the races? can I reuse the ones that are inside the rotors?
Would I need any special tools to do this.? I figured a bearing press?
Oh and what about the big old wheel nut / anything needed to get that off?

I did a search but there is not much info related to RWD explorers, seems mostly 4x4.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bearings, a seal for each side, a new cotter pin some high heat lithium grease and some rags. The nut on the spindle gets tightened to about one foot pound. If you have a wrench one foot long then one pound of pressure.

The big thing is perfect cleanness.

Bearings, a seal for each side, a new cotter pin some high heat lithium grease and some rags. The nut on the spindle gets tightened to about one foot pound. If you have a wrench one foot long then one pound of pressure.

The big thing is perfect cleanness.

Wow So I was on the right track! Such a quick response, so I wouldn't need any special tools, I read on here that a screwdriver and a punch can be used to get the races out? I assume this is correct? And back in again.

It looks like this.

sorry my bad.

Attachments

• SANY0008.JPG
    SANY0008.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 810

A punch is nice if you have one.

Attachments

• SANY0009.JPG
    SANY0009.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 783

If your bearings aren't that bad then you can repack the old ones or if they aren't bad then reusing the old races is better than beating up new ones.

If your bearings aren't that bad then you can repack the old ones or if they aren't bad then reusing the old races is better than beating up new ones.
Wow
Thank you so much roberta1a, you have been so much help! How would I tell if the races are still usable? i guess just common sense right?

And where did you get such a nifty set from ? lol

That's a bearing race driver set from H.F. Installs them but does not remove them. Careful use of a punch from the race back side will drive them out.

Hi Guys

Ok so I did the bearings, Just one question, the nut on the end of the spindle, how tight is that supposed to be? Because when i took of the dust cover and took out the pink it was loose like hand tight. I replaced the bearings and then put it on and tightened it up a lot but it the hub wouldn't spin, So i loosened it and just tightened it to hand tight and then a little force. Is this ok??

On another issue when I spin the wheel hub its quiet but then it catches for instant and then continues spinning. Once per revolution. Is this a warped rotor?

The pads look fine should i just replace them?

10 to 12 inch pounds. Read your own thread. That equals about one foot pound. If your wrench is one foot long then aply one pound of presure. Theese things are delicate. Its not a scateboard!

10 to 12 inch pounds. Read your own thread. That equals about one foot pound. If your wrench is one foot long then aply one pound of presure. Theese things are delicate. Its not a scateboard!

Yeah I went back and read it while I was doing it. I got the idea it needed 140 lbs of pressure, I think that was obviously for another thing.

Sorry for the mistake:(

Would the odd noise while the rotor is turning be caused by the pads or rotor?

Slow down! You have to finesse these things. Its like a lady!

You got more common sence that! Speedy Mc 'greedy.

Slow down! You have to finesse these things. Its like a lady!

You got more common sence that! Speedy Mc 'greedy.

LoL I will I will :)

Thanks for the advice tho:)

Any idea on the odd noise from the rotor as it turns?

I am about to change out my bearings to see if it addresses my noise issues. Since it's 2wd it is a cheap trouble shooting expedition is my thinking. I am a little confused as to part id's for the bearings. On Rock there are National brand and SFK brand. The National brand has a different price for left and right, so not sure they are the same item. Any help on part choice would be great.

Nevermind, I was looking at Axle bearings, not hub bearings. I figured it out.

Back