• Register Today It's free!

Front Wipers?

KodeBlu

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
Has anyone had a problem with their front windshield wipers? My '99 has the turn signal and wiper/washer controls all on one arm. Sometimes when I press (or hold) the button on the end of the arm to activate the washer/wiper, nothing happens. No washer fluid, no movement of the wiper arms, no nothing. Then to make matters even worse, sometimes when I turn on the blinkers to switch lanes, the wipers would cycle once or twice. At first, I thought maybe I was a little heavyhanded and hit the button by mistake while turning on the blinkers. But I've even been driving and they would cycle without me touching anything! It's covered under warranty, so I'm not really worried, but it's such an inconvenience dealing with Ford at times.

Any and all comments accepted and appreciated.

------------------
'99 Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
No mods yet, but getting ALOT of ideas here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had any problems with mine, but it looks like there is a problem on some. Check out the following thread Dead Link Removed

------------------
99 XLT 4x4
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Welcome to the site! I have the same problem, its all in that above link.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

KodeBlu,

I have the problem of pushing the button and nothing happens! It happens not very often and if I continue to push the washer button, it will eventually work, I've never had to push it more than 3 or 4 times. I do not experience the phantom wiper problem...thank goodness, what's up with that $400 fix!!? Hope your still under warranty!

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's
K&N w/drilled box, Bosch P+4's, Borla Cat-Back

jimiday@aol.com

Quick tip, jiggle the washer switch side to side while pushing in, that makes it work.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

I have the wiper problem with not spraying wash when I push the button, but I wash my car weekly, so it is really not a big deal. Dead Link Removed

before i decided to buy an explorer i could actually lift(my 94), i owned a 95 sport, and i had this same problem. somebody along the assembly line must have been nodding off for about the last 5 years Dead Link Removed

Had the washer problem with my 95X. Found a link on this site that fixed my problem which I have pasted below. My problem was the washer rarely worked and the intermittant cycles were unpredicatable. From reading other messages it appears the duration is speed controled which I think is stupid.
I never experienced the wipers going on by themselves.
Other than the washer working perfectly now I don't know if the wiper control has improved since it hasn't rained yet for me to test. Please note with the below repair, the cap (Robert the Author) said to use an exacto knife on it whch was good advice. The cap he refers to is at the very end of the stalk. Use the tip of the exacto knife and go under the knurled portion of the stalk, and on the outer portion of the cap. Getting the cap of without damaging the plastic was the hardest part for me. Diassembling and cleaning was very easy as was assembly. It appears that Ford loads the stalk with grease, and in time hardens, thus forming a insulator for the contacts. So even if you replace the stalk at 175.00 in time the problem will manifest itself again.
I was so happy to get my washer working at will, I disconnected the waher hoses and blew them out.
No more pissing in the wind, got some nice pressure now. Hope this cleaning of the contacts helps you guys.

PASTED REPAIR MESSAGE

“I popped the end of the wiper stalk off with an exacto knife. Did it from behind incase I gouged the plastic. Once the cap is off, there is one phillips screw in the center. Remove it and carefully pull the switch off. There is a spring in there so be careful. Also there is a small spring that goes through the stalk that provides the indentions when selecting the different positions. It has a small metal cap on both ends. The grease will usually hold it in, but if it starts to fall out be sure that you don't loose it. Once you have the end of the switch off, you'll see several copper contacts and copper fingers. Carefully clean them with alcohol. I also gently lifted up on the copper fingers to provide more contact. Put it back together. The Ford charge to replace the entire stalk is $175 and they won't just try and fix the switch. I've had to clean all of my Ford's after a while. I had my Warranty company pay Ford to fix my Explorer's for the $175 charge.”

hmmm, not the same problem, but my wiper blades (the plastic stiffener, not the rubber) warped in the 120°+ heat this summer. they are the "triple edge" blades, lifetime gaurantee, but i gotta find the paperwork.

Back