Frozen drivers door | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frozen drivers door

The PIU's had a similar issue in 2020, ask your dealer to look at SSM 49189

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's just a solid window sill. No little "nub" to pop up or down.

Peter
Is there no way to manually lock the car? Necessary when leaving the vehicle on the car deck of a ferry. I found out the hard way that you can't lock the vehicle by fob, or electrically via the door switches without arming the motion sensors. The ferry crews get upset when car alarms start going off on the car deck whilst under sail, especially during active weather.
Car must be locked only by pushing down the manual door locks.

The Aviator has a red lock/unlock symbol displayed on the B-pillar below the Securi-code keypad. This is the visual cue that the doors are locked or unlocked.
That lock symbol on the Securicode pad is actually used to lock the doors. There is one on the passenger side as well. The Aviator doesn't have any kind of door handle touch locking system.

Peter

Is there no way to manually lock the car? Necessary when leaving the vehicle on the car deck of a ferry. I found out the hard way that you can't lock the vehicle by fob, or electrically via the door switches without arming the motion sensors. The ferry crews get upset when car alarms start going off on the car deck whilst under sail, especially during active weather.
Car must be locked only by pushing down the manual door locks.
The Aviator has 2 Anti-Theft systems. One is the 'Perimeter' and the other is 'All Senors' which senses changes in inclination etc. so disabling that one would address the ferry situation. Still wondering about being able to manually lock it.🤔

Peter

Thanks to these posts I just discovered something about the situation with a dead vehicle battery.
Each door has a backup power system which allows the door to function if your vehicle has no power. The system has a limited number of operations before the power is depleted and turns off. When the system turns off, the door remains open and unlatched and does not close.
If your vehicle has no power and the backup power system is turned off, you can close and secure your vehicle by manually resetting each door latch using a key in the position shown.

So basically there is a slot in each door that the key blade will fit into to set the latch so you can lock the door.
1610468889535.png

Thanks guys.

Peter

Last week was cold here. I remote started the truck, got in and closed the door to find it did not close. I have never owned a vehicle with this issue, so went back in the house and googled it. Apparently, my lock assembly was frozen. I worked the inside and the outside handle several time and the problem went away.

All I can say is I am glad I am not still stationed in Grand Forks N.D. As I doubt I would have been so lucky....

Last week was cold here. I remote started the truck, got in and closed the door to find it did not close. I have never owned a vehicle with this issue, so went back in the house and googled it. Apparently, my lock assembly was frozen. I worked the inside and the outside handle several time and the problem went away.

All I can say is I am glad I am not still stationed in Grand Forks N.D. As I doubt I would have been so lucky....
Wow, I have never had that happen to any of my cars. Here in Canada the temperature reaches down to -45 celsius. Where are you from?

To provide an update on the original post, my Explorer has been at the dealer almost a month now, they say a revised part should be coming in next week. Apparently its a known problem at least in Canada, and parts are not readily available as most have been used on on the Police Interceptors.

Went back to the dealer for the backup cam recall and sure enough, the door lock worked that morning. The day after, back to not working. Our dealer has not "heard of this" and since it keeps working at their shop, no fix.
Now the height of the nub is back to normal, BUT when you unlock/lock it does not move at the moment.

Went back to the dealer for the backup cam recall and sure enough, the door lock worked that morning. The day after, back to not working. Our dealer has not "heard of this" and since it keeps working at their shop, no fix.
Now the height of the nub is back to normal, BUT when you unlock/lock it does not move at the moment.
That was my symptoms as well. Was able to re produce it one cold morning at the dealer, they decided to keep it and got me a rental.

That was my symptoms as well. Was able to re produce it one cold morning at the dealer, they decided to keep it and got me a rental.
Did the new lock mechanism fix the problem?

Peter

The same thing is happening to my 2020 Explorer Limited, just the driver's door. Sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. I can always unlock/lock with the key. I'm bringing it in on Feb 2nd, I'll keep you all posted what the dealership says. Based on the 4 visits I had to do already for the 2nd row heated seats (seems finally fixed now at least) probably they wont be able to fix and will order a new lock and will tell me to go back when they get it in a month or 2.

Got mine back after 5 weeks at dealer, both front door locks replaced with updated parts.

Well the driver door locks and unlocks but as of recent the nub is no longer moving on the driver door. As long as that continues I can get them to see an actual problem...

Dealer could not repro, so nothing they can do. Basically told me that this happens sometimes and is normal/expected behavior.

Dealer could not repro, so nothing they can do. Basically told me that this happens sometimes and is normal/expected behavior.
Ya they said that similar thing to me the first time. So frustrating as this is not normal. I guess we wait for it to get worse

Ya they said that similar thing to me the first time. So frustrating as this is not normal. I guess we wait for it to get worse
Yeah. Honestly they didn't even look at the lock or anything, they just said all 4 doors lock and unlock normally, come get the car. I had told them when I called and when I stopped it off that it's working now. If they were not going to bother, they could have at least told me not to come untill it's doing it or something.

I swear this dealership is just trying to make money on the 30$/day +80c/Km for a loaner car. I'm very disappointed so far with the Ford service (this is my 5th time already since I got it 6 months ago). This is for sure my last new car. Lesson learned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. Honestly they didn't even look at the lock or anything, they just said all 4 doors lock and unlock normally, come get the car. I had told them when I called and when I stopped it off that it's working now. If they were not going to bother, they could have at least told me not to come untill it's doing it or something.

I swear this dealership is just trying to make money on the 30$/day +80c/Km for a loaner car. I'm very disappointed so far with the Ford service (this is my 5th time already since I got it 6 months ago). This is for sure my last new car. Lesson learned.
Yup, this explorer is becoming frustrating. I never buy the first year because of things like this, but we found a late build and my wife super duper had to have a 3 row so we did the deal and now she likes the car but is irritated at all this. If stuff like this keeps breaking I’ll be selling and moving to the Durango most likely

Back