Frozen Snow Hell, I think I broke it! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frozen Snow Hell, I think I broke it!

Everdream

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Luckily for me, it wasn't the whole truck. It was something super important though! The passenger door lock! OH NOES! A little history. I bought this beater for 800 bucks, and it is a good beater, but it being an 800 dollar truck, it has its issues, the passenger side door lock does not work with power lock switch at all (lock or unlock) Fast forward to yesterday.... Washington got hit with a super ice storm and turbo freezing weather. So I wanted some wendy's and well with a foot and a half of thunder-storming snow I wasn't walking.... I walked out..unlocked the driver side door. (it was frozen shut, so i actually ended up hitting the auto pop for the hatch and crawling in and kicking my drivers door open :p) my fiancée came down and like usual I just pulled the inside handle to open the door...now it wont lock, I cant push the button to lock it, lock its self wont push down. any ideas what I likely broke? its still freezing out so I can't check right now, Id like to know what to look for when I can look at it.

Thanks guys
-M

pull the door panel off, there is a little piece of plastic that clips onto the lock cylinder, prone to break when it gets cold. When it breaks off it falls down and hangs on the inside of the door so you cant lock it.

Broke the one on my drivers side last winter, cost me 4 bucks from the dealer for the part

Ford part # F3LY-6321971-A

But pull the panel off and get a look before you go and start buying parts, one of the rods may have slipped off.

$4, that is cheap. I went to the local Ford dealership and they wanted $15 for the plastic piece. I just walked out and went to the local Pick N Pull and found one. Only cost me a buck!

Yeah, that was pretty much it, thanks :)

Back