Frustrated w/ D44... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frustrated w/ D44...

Ok - I am really frustrated right now...

Bought rebuild kit from Randy's (along with gears) and a bunch of the shims and such are the wrong size. I call them up and using a die grinder to widen is no big deal - just more hassle than I wanted. Now - trying to install carrier seals at the axle tubes - these appear wrong too! Can't even get close to getting these things in. So - I go to the parts store, get 2 new ones - and they are totally differnt (they don't fit either).

Am I missing something here? Are these seals extra hard to put in? I'm getting cranky - think I'm going to grab a sandwich and settle down a bit :mad:

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not trying to be a smarta$$ but the 8.8 is a stronger axle, why did you go with the dana44 in the rear, correct me if i'm wrong

The D44 is going in the front (Solid axle swap)

Still have the 8.8 in the rear...

J

Man, don't know what to tell you, I'm not even worrying about the differential yet, but I just had a hell of a time getting my inner wheel bearings in, resorted to setting the hub, with bearing installed in front of the heater, then slid the assembly onto the spindle, it's gonna be fun getting it apart, but that is what a bernzo is for, I guess:D

Hotwheels,
Thanks! Very helpful. I looked all over for something like that and wasn't able to find it. Thanks again!

Muskrat - good luck on everything! I need to find a center pin now. The one I have doesn't fit :eek:

J

would you quit complaining I want to hear WOW this is so easy I know anyone could do it no problem, Offroader would have a walk in the park doing this, I am so glad this is SOOOOO easy!!

Well good luck anyway!

Not trying to hijack your post but how the hell does the spindle come off? TIA :)

Originally posted by -=DaemoN=-
Not trying to hijack your post but how the hell does the spindle come off? TIA :)

Once you have the nuts off hit it with a big rubber hammer from side to side and up and down. Once there is a gap between the knuckle and back of the spindle put a little pry bar in it then either keep hitting the spindle up and down to work it loose or see if it will pry off. Just be careful and dont hit the spindle surface with anything that will scratch it.

And about the rebuild kit not fitting, there are several different models of a dana 44 and the kit you may have may be for a different dana 44. Not 100% sure though. When I bought oil seals for my 44 they didnt fit because it was for a different model 44. I took it to napa and they matched the part number to get me the right ones.

try using a cold chisel between the spindle and the knuckle. if that doesn't work, I used a 3 jaw puller and put the lock nuts back on the spindle, attached the puller over the nuts, and pulled against the axle shaft, not the greates idea, but it worked as I was adding tension, I hit the spindle and the knuckle with the chisel as well

That's what I thought. Maybe I just need a bigger hammer :hammer:. THanks guys.

Ok - thought I had the problem withthe seals solved. Got a 6" bottle jack (2 ton) and that fit well into the center section. I was able to use it as a press to push the seals in. However, the seals crushed. Back to the drawing board!

J

Back