Frustration with turn signal lever | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frustration with turn signal lever

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Love my Explorer Sport! Really dislike the turn signal lever! I was hoping others could chime in with their experiences or advice. I miss the traditional lever that stays in the position you put it in until it clicks off, that way I always know what's happening. I get constantly confused and I'm always double-guessing myself, especially when turning onto a street and then wanting to immediately change lanes. I can never get the darn signal to do what I want, so it either ends up being turned off when I want it on, or signalling in the wrong direction. And of course the most comfortable position to have the steering wheel adjusted covers the indicators on the dash, so there's that. Anyone have any wisdom? Am I making sense?

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly is the problem you have? It is a two position switch. A gentle tap gives you 3 blinks. If you push it with more force past the detent it stays on until the turn is completed. Some vehicles have experienced a very hard, notchy lever. I did and had it replaced. Works great now.

I love it! Yeah, it was different than what I was used to, but the more you use it, the more you realize that this is how all turn signals should work.

I'm 64 years old, and I got used to it. Now when I get in my Nissan I think why can't they make the turn signal like the Explorer? The Nissan now seems like the strange one.

I understand what the OP is saying, especially the turn + immediate lane change(or make another turn in the same direction). I run into that about once a week where I make my turn, attempt to signal again to switch lanes and instead of turning on the blinker, I cancel it. Sometimes you have to physically look at the dash to see if your blinker is on rather than the feel of your hand for the location of the stalk.

I don’t think there’s a solution to get back to the old style blinker where it locks into position until the blinkers are canceled(except for the 3 blink option).

mine had a problem were once engaged, you could not turn off the signal, so driving in straight line with no intentions to turn, the blinker was on, very annoying and unsafe/false message for other drivers around me. the entire turn signal stalk had to be replaced under warranty.

Love my Explorer Sport! Really dislike the turn signal lever! I was hoping others could chime in with their experiences or advice. I miss the traditional lever that stays in the position you put it in until it clicks off, that way I always know what's happening. I get constantly confused and I'm always double-guessing myself, especially when turning onto a street and then wanting to immediately change lanes. I can never get the darn signal to do what I want, so it either ends up being turned off when I want it on, or signalling in the wrong direction. And of course the most comfortable position to have the steering wheel adjusted covers the indicators on the dash, so there's that. Anyway have any wisdom? Am I making sense?

Tony
I'm with you 100% Tony. I have experienced the same issues. I much prefer the 'older' style where the lever stays engaged in the up or down position. There have been instances where with the signal already on, I unintentionally hit it again and it turned off. In the older style, this would not have happened. This lever design was discussed before and there were some posts on it in another thread. After having driven two different vehicles with the same 'newer' signal indicator for 4 years, I still don't like it. BTW, the MKT only has one lever, not two like my previous Explorer.

Peter

I'm with you 100% Tony. I have experienced the same issues. I much prefer the 'older' style where the lever stays engaged in the up or down position. There have been instances where with the signal already on, I unintentionally hit it again and it turned off. In the older style, this would not have happened. This lever design was discussed before and there were some posts on it in another thread. After having driven two different vehicles with the same 'newer' signal indicator for 4 years, I still don't like it. BTW, the MKT only has one lever, not two like my previous Explorer.

Peter

My older generation Explorers had the single lever, and I much prefer this set-up. Unless there is something wrong with your turn signal, or you are an old fart, like me, who can't stand change, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the turn signal design, and as I said I think it's an improvement.

Smething i will also have to get use to as this is something new to me in cars!

Not my favorite "feature", but not something I hate as much as some other things about the new electronics.

I've gotten used to it mostly, but I still have occasions when I get lane change blinking going the wrong way sometimes when I cancel the turn signal.

I like this new style turn signal switching. It's exactly like my BMW, which was the first car I had with this style turn signal.

Love my Explorer Sport! Really dislike the turn signal lever! I was hoping others could chime in with their experiences or advice. I miss the traditional lever that stays in the position you put it in until it clicks off, that way I always know what's happening. I get constantly confused and I'm always double-guessing myself, especially when turning onto a street and then wanting to immediately change lanes. I can never get the darn signal to do what I want, so it either ends up being turned off when I want it on, or signalling in the wrong direction. And of course the most comfortable position to have the steering wheel adjusted covers the indicators on the dash, so there's that. Anyone have any wisdom? Am I making sense?

Tony
Hi Tony. Just thought I'd let you know that the turn signal switch is now back to the way I like it on my 2017 model. Switch stays in either the up or down position until either cancelled by the steering wheel or manually. I believe it was changed with the 2016 model year.:thumbsup:

Peter

Yep, 2016 switched back. I test drive a 2015 Sport and hated the turn signal lever.

Hi Tony. Just thought I'd let you know that the turn signal switch is now back to the way I like it on my 2017 model. Switch stays in either the up or down position until either cancelled by the steering wheel or manually. I believe it was changed with the 2016 model year.:thumbsup:

Peter

This is excellent!!!!

Thanks!

I just watched Ford's official video and it shows that the previous models can also push the turn signal stalk all the way up or down; along with the intelligent 3 blink.
I'm I missing something, as this is the same on 2016+?

2016/2017 does not have the intelligent 3 blink.

2016/2017 does not have the intelligent 3 blink.
Ummm, yes they do...I use it all the time for lane changes and only push the stalk all the way down/up at a complete stop when turning.

I just watched Ford's official video and it shows that the previous models can also push the turn signal stalk all the way up or down; along with the intelligent 3 blink.
I'm I missing something, as this is the same on 2016+?
The problem was that while you could push the lever all the way up or down, it would return to the neutral position automatically while the signal was still operating. At least that was the way it worked with my 2011 and 2014 MKT. The problem that you'd run into at times was that if you wanted to manually cancel for example a right turn indication, you'd push the lever down and then it would activate the left turn indicator. To actually cancel a turn indicator you just had to apply just a touch or pressure to the lever but that didn't always happen. The current system is much for user friendly, especially for some of us older gents used to the old system. By that I don't mean sticking your hand out the window.:D

Peter

The problem was that while you could push the lever all the way up or down, it would return to the neutral position automatically while the signal was still operating. At least that was the way it worked with my 2011 and 2014 MKT. The problem that you'd run into at times was that if you wanted to manually cancel for example a right turn indication, you'd push the lever down and then it would activate the left turn indicator. To actually cancel a turn indicator you just had to apply just a touch or pressure to the lever but that didn't always happen. The current system is much for user friendly, especially for some of us older gents used to the old system. By that I don't mean sticking your hand out the window.:D

Peter
Thanks for the explanation Peter.
I'm with you guys that simplicity beats new tech.

Ummm, yes they do...I use it all the time for lane changes and only push the stalk all the way down/up at a complete stop when turning.
My 2016 Limited doesn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back