• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Fry's Electronics vs. Fry's Supermarket Grocery Store..

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I think I finally figured this one out.

Yup, in Phoenix, AZ, there's Fry's Electronics, and Fry's Supermarket Grocery Store. I remember asking what the difference between the two was, and they said two different corporations. I always wondered what the connection was between the two chains (there had to be - their signs appear alike!)

They are opening a new Fry's Electronics store in Concord, CA, on a street named..

Fry Way.

The street has been named that for several years, they didn't just rename it. It was originally named that when a Fry's Grocery Store was located there.

So, what's the connection between the two?

The *Sons* of the founder of Fry's Supermarket created Fry's Electronics, seperately from the Supermarket chain.

So that's the connection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
We dont have the grocery stores here in Dallas, but we do have the electronics side of the business. Those stores are greatness.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
ah....never heard of frys grocery stores, but we have several frys electronics around here....

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
How's Fry's in comparison to Best Buy? Better? Worse? Prices? Just curious.

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
Laern something new everyday. I also wondered that.

Last year at the AZ run I was having problems with my CB. Ended up that the connector on my antenna ripped apart. Was buzzing down the street looking for a Radio Shack or other, saw the Fry's sign, said "oh perfect" and pulled in, and then noticed it was a grocery store. . .What the Heck? :confused: Luckily there was a Radio shack in the same lot ;)

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by AdamCKach
How's Fry's in comparison to Best Buy? Better? Worse? Prices? Just curious.
Can't remember how my dad (a business owner) words it (EDIT: a Loss Leader Strategy); Fry's Electronics puts a few items on sale for awesome prices (many times at their loss), to get you into the store. Everything else in the store is priced higher than you could find elsewhere.
So even if you got a whale of a deal on a CPU/Motherboard combo, by the time you bought memory, a hard drive, case, and other accessories you'd be worse off than going somewhere else.

tdavis

Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I always tell people - Know what you want before buying it at Fry's. Somethings, they are good at - others, not so good.

They have loss-leaders in every category. They also have high prices in those same category. They usually have a better selection than Best Buy and such.

Fry's is great for "I need it NOW." type buys. If you have a few days, mail order it. It will be cheaper than any BestBuy/Fry's/CircuitCity/GoodGuys.

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
we dont have either here in the new england area

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Originally posted by tdavis
I always tell people - Know what you want before buying it at Fry's. Somethings, they are good at - others, not so good.

They have loss-leaders in every category. They also have high prices in those same category. They usually have a better selection than Best Buy and such.

Fry's is great for "I need it NOW." type buys. If you have a few days, mail order it. It will be cheaper than any BestBuy/Fry's/CircuitCity/GoodGuys.

Yep, completely agree.

I used to go to the Fry's in Fremont CA and Palo Alto when I lived in the East Bay, now I go to the Sac store which first opened as Incredible Universe but didn't do well so it was bought by Fry's.

They have the best selection in this area,but have questionable customer service and other policies (rebox returns without testing - sell obsolete software for the same price as current - etc) so you need to know what you want and the street price for it before shopping. If they have what you want as a "Loss Leader" youre in Fat City. Also, if you search, you can find more than one website devoted to horror stories from disgrunted shoppers.

I have always thought of Fry's as the store that caters to geeks (I mean that in the best way) - they have all the electronic gear, software and puters and they even have the geek food (HoHo's, Snickers and soda) lining the checkout isle on the way out ;)

edselman

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 Door XLT 4X2
I was in heaven when fry's came here to las vegas. I want a grocery store from them also, to knock down this Wal-Monopoly :mad:

Never had a problem at the store, actually heard customers & employees walking through the aisles, talking to each other about linux, and alot of computer related information. I never heard that at best buy. God awful music. Crappy return policys. Employees that eyeball you as a thief, and they make you want to stuff that 55 inch big screen down the back of your pants and walk out! Knowing the best buy employees, they would be more confused how I walked in the store, thin as a rail, and walked out with 500 pounds of weight on, not the fact I stuffed a big screen down my pants.

Fry's here is very friendly, and has a great return policy. Some 128 mb memory chips I got would not work together, and the guy helping with the return turned out to be a old electronics engineer. He was able to look at the board, and showed us how the connections were not soldered properly. Got the new memory chips, not a problem since ;) I'm typing this on the exact computer I installed them in! If I went to Worst-Buy, I would probably be eyeballed/called a thief, and probably still standing there trying to get new replacement chips.

Death to best buy! Long live fry's! Circuit City is another favorite, Fry's is first though, and Comp USSR, err USA is great for trash picking, err partaking in the bargains behind the store, err inside. :D

Dane

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Char used to joke that she had given Fry's Electronics my mug shot so they wouldn't sell anything to me. I used to practically live there. LOL

Yesterday I was going through old receipts and found one for a $1500 computer from 2001. That old boat anchor is now lying in a dump somewhere.

tdavis

Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
and now, the electronics store is closed and gone. Probably made more money selling off the property than the last whole year.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I miss Fry's electronics, the way it used to be when they stocked everything. I guess they didn't learn from Radio Shack.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I miss Fry's electronics, the way it used to be when they stocked everything. I guess they didn't learn from Radio Shack.

Did you go to the store on Thunderbird, or the one in South Phoenix? I lived on Thunderbird, but I liked the one in South Phoenix better.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
When I lived in Phoenix 2000-2002, I went to the Thunderbird one. Nice store.

During that time, I worked for Fry's Food and Drug, in the Produce Department. My home store was 59th and Beardsley. I could work at other stores to get hours, so most of my time was at other locations. Good thing about that was, my home store was second in the area for sales. and most stores I worked at were maybe 2/3 of that. Easy work. Even if I was at the leading store, which I can't remember (67th and Union Hill?), they had so much labor hours in Produce, it was still a piece of cake.