FSA 20B19 Transmission Shift Hesitation | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FSA 20B19 Transmission Shift Hesitation

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

@Sharin & @edwx - Thanks for your replies to my question.

The reason I asked what your "cold start" procedure was to establish if the the engine was warmed up to the point where the automatic transmission cooler came "into play".

Sharin, from what you've written I'd imagine that your engine is reaching operating temperature before you enter the vehicle, so I'd wager that your automatic transmission cooler that routes through your engine radiator would be operating, and thus your transmission fluid would also be up to operating temperature by the time you leave your garage. Let me go on to add that I understand that you don't feel comfortable with your Ex's behavior, especially if you're leaving a driveway, cutting across multiple lanes of traffic, while making a left hand turn.

edwx, despite the fact that your outside temps are in the 60's and 70's, given your written "cold start" procedure, I'm thinking that your transmission fluid is not up to operating temperature when you start your journey. As a test, you might try and completely warm up your engine to "normal" operating temperature before you start driving and see if that makes a difference in your transmissions' shift quality.

@peterk9 - thanks for your imput - what's your cold start procedure up there in the Great White North?
Do you warm your engine up to operating temperature before your journey OR do you just turn the key and start driving?
I get the same hesitation when the car is at normal temps, just not as severe nor every shift cycle. The whole thing is a mystery and do hope that the Ford techs are working on a solution. It might not even be the tranny. It could be software related shutting off the fuel between gears. As I've said, the problem is not as bad following the reflash so I'm suspicious that it might not be hardware. I'm not going to worry about it. I just be more conservative maneuvering in traffic and when the time is right I'll dump it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've thought about warming it up a bit before driving, and I occasionally do, to get the AC going on hot days. Just to keep things in a bit of perspective........this is the fifth Explorer I've owned. I've owned a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and now a 6th Gen X. Probably the best transmission for me was the 5th generation. The transmission in the 2nd and 3rd Gen was very rough shifting between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd, I forget, but it was the nature of the beast. I never worried about it then. I might not baby this transmission on startup so much the next couple of days and see what happens.

Yeah, I've thought about warming it up a bit before driving, and I occasionally do, to get the AC going on hot days. Just to keep things in a bit of perspective........this is the fifth Explorer I've owned. I've owned a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and now a 6th Gen X. Probably the best transmission for me was the 5th generation. The transmission in the 2nd and 3rd Gen was very rough shifting between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd, I forget, but it was the nature of the beast. I never worried about it then. I might not baby this transmission on startup so much the next couple of days and see what happens.
My all time favorite stock ford was the 2016 Platinum. I'm so sorry I traded. Best hot rod was the 40 ford with a 57 caddie engine. My fords include 47 club coup, 69 Bronco, and Explorers...1997, 2002, 2004, (2010 MKX), 2011 and 2016 Explorer. And, almost forgot, a 70s era Ford 150 pickup. This 2020 is the only Ford I can recall that has caused me so much grief. Oh well.

@buzzard302

Any updates on how your transmission is functioning?

Mine is still the same. Shift hesitation when cold, with downshift clunkiness. As soon as I drive a few miles and it warms up, it acts normal (actually it occasionally downshift clunks even when warm).

I have not had any type of software update. Mine is a June of 2019 build, one of the earliest ones out there. I have a backup camera issue and I will be taking it to dealership when convenient to work on the camera as well as complain about the transmission again. I do not expect much in the way of the transmission, since my build date is outside of the service bulletin posted.

My ST currently is at the dealership waiting for a new transmission.

mid-July is when they said it'll be in.

@QwikEVO

What was your ST's transmission doing that FORD felt it had to pull and replace it?

Having the same issue with my new 'used' 2020 XLT. Traded in a 2016 Limited that was leaking oil. I love the look and utility of the Explorer, but it gives me anxiety to drive it. Just waiting for it to shift from 2nd to 3rd and toss me around. Also when braking it feels like I'm getting feedback from the pedal (like what a car would do when you try to brake on ice). I want to love this car, but it's difficult. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck with it for a while.

Having the same issue with my new 'used' 2020 XLT. Traded in a 2016 Limited that was leaking oil. I love the look and utility of the Explorer, but it gives me anxiety to drive it. Just waiting for it to shift from 2nd to 3rd and toss me around. Also when braking it feels like I'm getting feedback from the pedal (like what a car would do when you try to brake on ice). I want to love this car, but it's difficult. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck with it for a while.
The braking issue sounds like the ABS is kicking in. I believe it creates a sort of pulsing feel in the pedal. I wonder if the transmission fluid is low? Unfortunately, I don't believe it has a dipstick to check it.
Have a look at this TSB; List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM

Peter

Just got my Platinum back from the dealers. It took a couple of days but now it seems to shift better. They claim to have installed an update. So now I'm supposed to drive it normally, no hotrod stuff, for 200 miles. I have great hopes since the continued crappy shifting makes a really nice vehicle a clunker. I don't have any details, just that they flashed the tranny and it will take a while to learn my driving habits.
Here's the latest on the Platinum

A TRANS-CST STS TRANS HESITATES OR STUMBLES WHEN DRIVING AND HARSH
SHIFT. SEE TSB 21-2046

1 LIMZ*7A100*F CONTROL ASY TRANSMISSION (N/C)
12 XT*12*QULV OIL. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (N/C)
7001D1 PID" RECORDER/MONITOR TEST WITH ROAD TEST LEA02 MO) CUR
L:
6854 TAMBURIN-ANTHONY D LIC#: 000510737
7001D2 LINE PRESSURE AND STALL TEST-' L
7001D14 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAIN CONTROL VALVE
BODY REPLACE
(7A100/7G383/7G391) L
PERFORM DIAG, NO. DTCS, PERFORM ROAD TEST MONITOR,
SHIFTS A BIT HARD AT TIMES
PERFORM LINE PRESS TEST, ACTUAL PRESSURE GOES 20-30
HIGHER THEN THE COMMANDED LPC WHICH POINTS TO
STICKING PRESSURE CONTROL IN VALVE BODY
THEN SOMETIMES IT FALLS BACK TO WITHIN RANGE, *
REMOVE PAN, REPL VALVE BODY ASSM,
REFILL TRANS DOWNLOAD NEW STRATEGY,
THEN ROAD TEST TO RELEARN SHIFTING PATTERN, 10-6891450
TRANS SHIFT FEELS SMOOTHER NOW,
WILL NEED SOME RELEARN DRIVING TO COMPLETE
Long and the short.....they replaced a control valve....This is the third or fourth time I've had it in the shop to complain about the tranny. I still don't know whether it's fixed because the vehicle is still in the shop....A headlight started sending error codes while it was still in the shop and they've had to order parts. Same old story. Maybe I'll get it back next week...They've already had it for two weeks.
However, they've been gracious about a loaner.

I just got my 2020 back from the shop that also had a shift hesitation. I had limited it down to 4th gear hanging or sticking. I was expecting a valve body replace as well, but the dealership was 'unable to replicate issue' and just put the transmission back into relearn mode. Surprisingly it does shift better now and the sticky 4th gear shifts are gone for now. The thing that surprised me was the warning from the service advisor about driving behavior. They stated that the issue could be a result of adjusted shift points and that two main behaviors affect this. The first behavior is 'California Stops' and the second is shifting into drive when there vehicle is not 100% completely stopped. I am trying to drive the 1000 miles recommended by the advisor while keeping both of these points in mind to see if there is any merit to these, but the aggressive nature of the Auto-Stop feature is trying my patience. Wondering if you were given the same warnings since your transmission is back into relearn and will need to be driven to learn it's new shift strategy.

I just got my 2020 back from the shop that also had a shift hesitation. I had limited it down to 4th gear hanging or sticking. I was expecting a valve body replace as well, but the dealership was 'unable to replicate issue' and just put the transmission back into relearn mode. Surprisingly it does shift better now and the sticky 4th gear shifts are gone for now. The thing that surprised me was the warning from the service advisor about driving behavior. They stated that the issue could be a result of adjusted shift points and that two main behaviors affect this. The first behavior is 'California Stops' and the second is shifting into drive when there vehicle is not 100% completely stopped. I am trying to drive the 1000 miles recommended by the advisor while keeping both of these points in mind to see if there is any merit to these, but the aggressive nature of the Auto-Stop feature is trying my patience. Wondering if you were given the same warnings since your transmission is back into relearn and will need to be driven to learn it's new shift strategy.
Sorry to be a downer, but my experience is that is behaves pretty well in the relearn phase. And then it will eventually revert to it's bad behavior. Mine has cold shift hesistation for over two years now. I just live with it. My dealership causes more harm than good, so I will not take it in unless it fails.

Back