FSA 20B19 Transmission Shift Hesitation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FSA 20B19 Transmission Shift Hesitation

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Thanks for the info. That's a pretty narrow window. Unfortunately I fell into it. Glad I got the reprogramming done.

The way I read that, the dealers are supposed to do the reprogramming before selling any new vehicles that fall into that date range form the Chicago plant. Since I purchased mine very recently, there's a chance the dealer did the reprogramming before the sale. Maybe that's why I wasn't having any issues.
May 31, 2021. More than a year.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I purchased mine very recently, there's a chance the dealer did the reprogramming before the sale. Maybe that's why I wasn't having any issues.

If you had yours done, they would have known from the history and not done it again. Also, when they hook up the tool, it will read what is on there, I believe. If the software only became available after you had already purchased the vehicle, the dealer would not have been able to reflash it prior to delivery. If the error is not present 100% of the time, you may just have not encountered it yet. Eventually, you probably would have and been very unhappy when that happened. The Customer Satisfaction Program prevented a larger dissatisfaction down the road.

May 31, 2021. More than a year

I was talking about the narrow build date range, not the time allowed for the fix. :)

@newmanjtn, thanks for the clarification. I literally had my vehicle one day after I purchased it on 5/13, when the FSA came across my Fordpass app.

My 2020 XLT does this intermittently (about three times in three months). It won't shift out of first gear after startup. I turn it off, wait a few minutes and then turn it on, and it works.

I had another issue once that may or may not be related. When cruising along at 65 and press the accelerator hard, it makes a huge "clunk" when downshifting, and feels like extremely hard braking. Freaked my kids out.

I'm due for my first service soon and will ask them to address this.

My 2020 XLT does this intermittently (about three times in three months). It won't shift out of first gear after startup. I turn it off, wait a few minutes and then turn it on, and it works.

I had another issue once that may or may not be related. When cruising along at 65 and press the accelerator hard, it makes a huge "clunk" when downshifting, and feels like extremely hard braking. Freaked my kids out.

I'm due for my first service soon and will ask them to address this.

What is your build date, roughly? Probably a week after the blend date on your window sticker.

You most likely set the P062c code and need this reflash. Did you get the notice in the mail or on your app?

On my app, although I haven't checked my mail in a while.

Sharin, yes I think it was you that had a similar description of me regarding shift hesitation, especially when cold. Looks like they just forced a trans re-learn on yours. Maybe it will help.

I am baffled that some vehicles manufactured in December through January are subject to this transmission service campaign, but earlier build dates like mine are left with nothing. Ford must be aware of transmission issues. Why can't we get the latest software loaded on ours?

@buzzard302

Any updates on how your transmission is functioning?

@buzzard302

Any updates on how your transmission is functioning?
Well, yes and no. I finally got the dealer to do a reflash, and although I've only driven 150 miles so far, I think it has helped. It's still not smooth when the engine is cold but it's not as spastic as it was. I guess I can live with it assuming it's not going to get any better. I'm disappointed but it is much better than It was.

I had mine reflashed with only 250 miles on it. Wasn't having any serious issues, except a little jumpy when cold. It's still a little jumpy when cold, but goes away pretty quickly when warmed up. Not great but can probably live with it.

@Sharin & @edwx

Thanks for providing us with the results of the latest re-flash of your transmissions!

Not great to hear that you're having to "settle" with the current results, but hopefully the adaptive/relearn process will fix the issues with your transmission's shifting when it's cold.

Say, let me ask each of you this, I see from your profiles that you're both in warm climates - how would you describe your typical cold/overnight start-up procedure with your Ex's?

I realize the above question is not directed at me but I'll say that my Aviator has not had any transmission issues and there were some really cold nights this past Winter. Just an FYI.

Peter

@Sharin & @edwx

Thanks for providing us with the results of the latest re-flash of your transmissions!

Not great to hear that you're having to "settle" with the current results, but hopefully the adaptive/relearn process will fix the issues with your transmission's shifting when it's cold.

Say, let me ask each of you this, I see from your profiles that you're both in warm climates - how would you describe your typical cold/overnight start-up procedure with your Ex's?
Ha, guess cold is a relative term. Last night's low was 70 and that was the lowest temp for several weeks. It was 112 here last thursday. I park in an underground garage exposed to ambient temperatures so before we leave I remote start the car so the interior will be cool. That, of course warms the engine. Surprisingly that doesn't seem to have had much effect on the tranny problem. I still have to drive several miles before it settles down.

I park outside, and typical overnight lows are upper 60s to low 70s. I just start it when I get in, and take it easy on the accelerator for a mile or two.

I park outside, and typical overnight lows are upper 60s to low 70s. I just start it when I get in, and take it easy on the accelerator for a mile or two.
That's fine if you can, I don't have the luxury. Every street around me is posted at 45mph, so everybody is driving 50 or more. I have to make sure I have plenty of room to pull out. Having the car stumble or hesitate in that environment is very threatening. Like I say, it's a little better now but I don't think I'll ever trust the car.

Ha, guess cold is a relative term. Last night's low was 70 and that was the lowest temp for several weeks. It was 112 here last thursday. I park in an underground garage exposed to ambient temperatures so before we leave I remote start the car so the interior will be cool. That, of course warms the engine. Surprisingly that doesn't seem to have had much effect on the tranny problem. I still have to drive several miles before it settles down.

@Sharin & @edwx - Thanks for your replies to my question.

The reason I asked what your "cold start" procedure was to establish if the the engine was warmed up to the point where the automatic transmission cooler came "into play".

Sharin, from what you've written I'd imagine that your engine is reaching operating temperature before you enter the vehicle, so I'd wager that your automatic transmission cooler that routes through your engine radiator would be operating, and thus your transmission fluid would also be up to operating temperature by the time you leave your garage. Let me go on to add that I understand that you don't feel comfortable with your Ex's behavior, especially if you're leaving a driveway, cutting across multiple lanes of traffic, while making a left hand turn.

edwx, despite the fact that your outside temps are in the 60's and 70's, given your written "cold start" procedure, I'm thinking that your transmission fluid is not up to operating temperature when you start your journey. As a test, you might try and completely warm up your engine to "normal" operating temperature before you start driving and see if that makes a difference in your transmissions' shift quality.

@peterk9 - thanks for your imput - what's your cold start procedure up there in the Great White North?
Do you warm your engine up to operating temperature before your journey OR do you just turn the key and start driving?

@Sharin & @edwx - Thanks for your replies to my question.

The reason I asked what your "cold start" procedure was to establish if the the engine was warmed up to the point where the automatic transmission cooler came "into play".

Sharin, from what you've written I'd imagine that your engine is reaching operating temperature before you enter the vehicle, so I'd wager that your automatic transmission cooler that routes through your engine radiator would be operating, and thus your transmission fluid would also be up to operating temperature by the time you leave your garage. Let me go on to add that I understand that you don't feel comfortable with your Ex's behavior, especially if you're leaving a driveway, cutting across multiple lanes of traffic, while making a left hand turn.

edwx, despite the fact that your outside temps are in the 60's and 70's, given your written "cold start" procedure, I'm thinking that your transmission fluid is not up to operating temperature when you start your journey. As a test, you might try and completely warm up your engine to "normal" operating temperature before you start driving and see if that makes a difference in your transmissions' shift quality.

@peterk9 - thanks for your imput - what's your cold start procedure up there in the Great White North?
Do you warm your engine up to operating temperature before your journey OR do you just turn the key and start driving?
Mostly it's just turn the key and go. I'll start it up, fasten the seatbelt and I'm off. Occasionally I'll use remote start and let it run for 5 minutes or so but not very often. Things tend to warm up quicker when driving.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mostly it's just turn the key and go. I'll start it up, fasten the seatbelt and I'm off. Occasionally I'll use remote start and let it run for 5 minutes or so but not very often. Things tend to warm up quicker when driving.

Peter

Peter - Thanks for your reply.

It's a good example - showing that even in the colder climates, there are examples of 10 speeds that will operate correctly/ to their owners expectations, without the engine being fully warmed up to "normal" operating temperature.

Back