FSM - Factory Service Manual request | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FSM - Factory Service Manual request

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
So, all my other cars had service manuals prepared by the factory with very detailed and useful information. These are not to be confused with Chiltons, Haynes or other comic books you can buy at the local parts store. I would like a Factory Service Manual for my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 Automatic. Can someone please reply with a link to a download or a file transfer or something for me, preferably in Adobe Acrobat PDF format? Typically, I've been able to download them from the appropriate forum using searches and reviewing stickies, but that is not the case here. Are they copyrighted and illegal to share and maybe this forum is a bit more law abiding than most? Actually, I don't care, as long as someone is willing to bend the rules a tad (email?). Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There used to be a site out there called fordcds.com They were shut down because it is highly illegal to trade them/download them which is why you don't see threads about them on here.. (against the rules).

You do see the FSM (factory service manuals) show up on ebay quite often. Normally They are the dated CD's which means you have to roll the date back on your computer for the CD or DVD to run.

~Mark

Best bet is to buy the factory manuals off Ebay. Hard copy. The CD's don't work.

So, we're legit around here. Well, I guess that's a good thing =)

Thank you for the tips about either a date rollback or just getting plain ol' paper prints.

I was surprised search had no results for "FSM" and a million results related to hubs and trannies for "Factory Service Manual" (keyword abviously being manual) so maybe the next searcher will find this thread and stop their wild goose chase for a free manual. It's not free!

...still waiting for that secret email... ;)

I even ordered a $5 CD of ebay. It never worked. Tried downloading a manual. No dice. Maybe if you were running Win 98?

IMO this forum makes a good full service manual. been thinkin about getting one but i havent done anything epic enuf.

If anyone wants to purchase copies of the factory manuals, the printer is called:

Helm Manuals

1-800-782-4356

They have the shop manual sets as well as the powertrain/emissions diagnosis, wiring diagrams and scematics for many years of Ford vehicles. I think they are the ones who supply the dealers.

I'm sure you pay a premium for them but its the only way to go if you are a serious do-it-yourselfer. I need to get a powertrain manual. Its the only one I cannot find on ebay or the other used book sites.

I searched e-bay, found these "factory service manuals". Look pretty thin compared to the 99 and the 2000 manuals I own. They are a whopping 13 bux, just watch that evil shipping charges.. Compare, compare, compare.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...80119007666QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...70517447299QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

They also have the seperate "electrical, vacuum and troubleshooting" manual for 92 model year as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...90014561851QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

I'm sure your more modern varients are much more electrified.

I love the old stuff. My model T has about 60 feet of wire on it total.:D

I understand that they are a simpler vehicle, but I have somewhere around 9 inches worth of manuals (3) for the Exploder/Mountaineer. Those look barely an inch. Just the electrical manual for the 2000 Mounty/Exploder is almost as thick as that.
AHHHHH progress, Aint it great?

Back