• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Fubared my laptop....

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Well, I decided i wanted to make the leap and install xandros on my laptop and remove windows. For those that may remember I wanted to dual boot Xandros and XP but was having problems. I got it to work on my fiance's laptop just fine and have been using her's to get used to Xandros. Well I backed up on to CD all the files on my laptop I wanted to keep (only a few songs, old college papers, and pictures). I restarted my laptop and booted off the CD drive and started to install Xandros and told it I did not want to keep Windows. Well, it got about 40% done and the laptop just shut off. I restarted and it tells me I have no operating system (understandable because Xandros did not finish installing). I though maybe my laptop had gotten hot so I set it out in the car (35* out) andafter it had cooled down to outside temp, I tryed to install this time I did it outside. Smae thing happened, now I know it did not overheat and shut down because the laptop was cool to the touch due to the temp outside and the wind that was blowing. What is going on here? Do I need to just wipe out the HDD and start over? Anyone able to help me here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
snocross1985 said:
Well, I decided i wanted to make the leap and install xandros on my laptop and remove windows. For those that may remember I wanted to dual boot Xandros and XP but was having problems. I got it to work on my fiance's laptop just fine and have been using her's to get used to Xandros. Well I backed up on to CD all the files on my laptop I wanted to keep (only a few songs, old college papers, and pictures). I restarted my laptop and booted off the CD drive and started to install Xandros and told it I did not want to keep Windows. Well, it got about 40% done and the laptop just shut off. I restarted and it tells me I have no operating system (understandable because Xandros did not finish installing). I though maybe my laptop had gotten hot so I set it out in the car (35* out) andafter it had cooled down to outside temp, I tryed to install this time I did it outside. Smae thing happened, now I know it did not overheat and shut down because the laptop was cool to the touch due to the temp outside and the wind that was blowing. What is going on here? Do I need to just wipe out the HDD and start over? Anyone able to help me here?

Unfortunately, you don't have an active operating system since Xandros wiped the XP. You can however recover it but it ain't cheap. Essentially you have to use a program like Ontrack's Easy Recovery to recover the old partition.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I don't need anything on my hard drive, all that i need is already backed up.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I am having a bit of a brain fart. How would I go about wiping the drive and starting over w/ Xandros? I have done this kind of thing before, just been a while.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Is your Xandros a bootable cd? if so, boot from it and then have it partition/format the drive.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Xandros Cd is bootable. Do I need to wipe out my drive first?

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Yea, boot off of the xandros cd and have it completely format the drive. ALso try burning another copy of the xandros cd, prehaps yours is damaged (ive had the same thing happen)

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
snocross1985 said:
Xandros Cd is bootable. Do I need to wipe out my drive first?

before xandros begins copying files, it should give you an option to partition/format your hard drive. thats what you want to do

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Got it to work. Thanks guys!

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
No problem. Cant wait for you to ditch windows all together and just run linux alone like me :D
(slackware 10.1)

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Oh, I did ditch Windows. I only have Xandros on my laptop now. My fiance will not let me get rid of Windows on her laptop, o well.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Now, the question is, does anyone know how I can get my internal wireless to work with Xandros? I can use hardline, but wireless is more fun. :D

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
See if there is a wireless driver available in Linux.

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I dual booted my gf's desktop with slackware and windoze, she actually uses linux most times too :D

as for wireless, its a whoel bunch of fun to get working. your best bet is to use ndiswrapper and windows drivers to get your card working with minimal hassel. check out ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ for info