Fuel door magnet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel door magnet

Awall12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. I love my vehicle. However, my fuel door will not stay closed. It seems like the magnet doesn't work anymore because it blows open all the time. Is there any fix for it? Or should I call a dealership and see what they say?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you still have warranty go to the dealer.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. I love my vehicle. However, my fuel door will not stay closed. It seems like the magnet doesn't work anymore because it blows open all the time. Is there any fix for it? Or should I call a dealership and see what they say?

Hi Awall12,

I recommend visiting your dealer to have this checked out. They'll be able to determine a repair. Once you have an appointment set up, please let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
You are the first to post on this issue. Are you sure it is held closed by a magnet. To open the door you press on it and it releases. That doesn't seem like a magnet is involved although I could be wrong. Attached is a picture of the door on my MKT which operates the same way as the one on my Explorer did. The pin on the left of the opening works much like the end of a ball point pen. The door hinge appears to be spring loaded to keep it closed. When you press on the door, the pin pops out pushing the door open. Then when you close it, you press the pin back in. If yours is the same, the issue would appear to be with the fuel door hinge.

Peter

Attachments

• PA260354_001.JPG
    PA260354_001.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 867

Fuel Door

I was hoping the fuel door locked when the car locked but no such luck. Especially given there is no fuel cap. My wife and daugthers BMW gas doors lock with car and are push in and push out as well so to speak but they have gas caps. Oh well has anyone tried to mod this?

I was hoping the fuel door locked when the car locked but no such luck. Especially given there is no fuel cap. My wife and daugthers BMW gas doors lock with car and are push in and push out as well so to speak but they have gas caps. Oh well has anyone tried to mod this?
Ford offers a gas cap if you really want one. There's no fear someone is going to access your gas the way it is unless they carry a Ford funnel around with them.

Peter

Back