Fuel Economy ! Tires & Injectors ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Economy ! Tires & Injectors ...

Wolfgang.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EB 4.0 L
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my recent fuel economy endeavors !

After I bought my 2007 EB 4.0L explorer a month ago I noticed it consumes lots of gas compared to my friend's expedition of the same year. We both fill up our tanks and mine dries first and he still has 1/4 or more to go.

I normally get 10 mpg average and 14 mpg highway (with AC ON). The car drives nicely and has been serviced recently(oil,air,sparks...). A google check brought up injectors, tyre pressure, MAF ...

I started with filling each tyre with N2 @ 35 psi. originally they had 40 psi of air so was not expecting much mpg benefit. surpassingly it worked and I got 0.5 mpg increase despite lower pressure, and yap the ride is much better now!

for the injectors, visited the dealership to get some injector cleaning fluid and it worked ! got 1.5 mpg increase, so might need to mechanically clean these,

the car now gets 12 mpg average, not much but its better than 10 ! the MAF is next ...:)

cheers !

Hi All,is your overdrive button on or off mine gets 20+ on the highway at 70 mile per hour

Just wanted to share my recent fuel economy endeavors !

After I bought my 2007 EB 4.0L explorer a month ago I noticed it consumes lots of gas compared to my friend's expedition of the same year. We both fill up our tanks and mine dries first and he still has 1/4 or more to go.

I normally get 10 mpg average and 14 mpg highway (with AC ON). The car drives nicely and has been serviced recently(oil,air,sparks...). A google check brought up injectors, tyre pressure, MAF ...

I started with filling each tyre with N2 @ 35 psi. originally they had 40 psi of air so was not expecting much mpg benefit. surpassingly it worked and I got 0.5 mpg increase despite lower pressure, and yap the ride is much better now!

for the injectors, visited the dealership to get some injector cleaning fluid and it worked ! got 1.5 mpg increase, so might need to mechanically clean these,

the car now gets 12 mpg average, not much but its better than 10 ! the MAF is next ...:)

cheers !

Back