Fuel economy with SCT Tuner

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I am the happy recipient of the SCT flash tuner, courtesy of Henson Performance.

While the increase in horsepower is certainly a plus, I am also very interested in the fuel economy increase that the tuner provides. James understandably did not guarantee any fuel economy improvement when I purchased the tuner. So, my questions are:

1. For those with the tuner, did you notice an increase in fuel economy?
2. Does the 93 octane tune get better economy than the 87 tune? If it does, is it enough to offset the price difference?

I'm really looking at the most economical operating tune for my Ex - If the premium tune gets 10% better economy than the 87 tune, for instance, it would pay for itself in fuel savings.

I have a 2000 Sport, 4.0 OHV, 2WD, 5-speed manual. FWIW, I got about 21 mpg combined, 25 highway before the tuner was installed. Once I get enough miles on my rig with the tuner, I will post results...I haven't even burned a full tank with the tuner, yet.

Thanks all ~

The 93 octane tune will get the same mileage... that's just the price you pay for more timing. Either way your economy should go slightly up due to improved shift points and improved air/fuel/maf data tables. This is how it was explained to me by jerry wroblewski (the master) 6 years ago (before he started sct).

Back