Fuel filler replacement 2000 Explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filler replacement 2000 Explorer 5.0

MichelleMD

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 XLT
When filling up my gas tank, I noticed the fuel filler started to leak right at the connection with the metal neck. I spotted it when I replaced the fuel pump recently. I ordered a replacement from Tasca Ford and it arrived yesterday. I'll install it and hopefully post a few pics along the way.

While sourcing the replacement part, I noticed a huge discrepancy in pricing, starting as low as $37, and as high as $350. Looking a little deeper I discovered that this part was sold in two different combinations: Just the neck (no hoses) and complete unit (neck and hoses). Unfortunately, I found it difficult to determine which was which with some of the parts listings. Although the replacement part number was consistant, as well as the image included, Tasca Ford was the only listing that the hoses were included. I was relieved when the part I received from Tasca Ford was in fact exactly what I needed.

20210420_022820.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When filling up my gas tank, I noticed the fuel filler started to leak right at the connection with the metal neck. I spotted it when I replaced the fuel pump recently. I ordered a replacement from Tasca Ford and it arrived yesterday. I'll install it and hopefully post a few pics along the way.

While sourcing the replacement part, I noticed a huge discrepancy in pricing, starting as low as $37, and as high as $350. Looking a little deeper I discovered that this part was sold in two different combinations: Just the neck (no hoses) and complete unit (neck and hoses). Unfortunately, I found it difficult to determine which was which with some of the parts listings. Although the replacement part number was consistant, as well as the image included, Tasca Ford was the only listing that the hoses were included. I was relieved when the part I received from Tasca Ford was in fact exactly what I needed.

View attachment 329721
Just finished up installing the new Filler pipe, with no problems at all. This was the dirtiest job I ever did on my Explorer

20210420_142620.jpg

View attachment 329721
Just finished up installing the new Filler pipe, with no problems at all. This was the dirtiest job I ever did on my Explorer

20210420_142627.jpg

Nice job! I think mine may be due soon...

Can you post the part number?

I've heard it said that you'll wear that black residue from the hoses on your hands for days if you don't wear gloves. Can anyone confirm that's the same hose/pipe assembly as used on the SOHC and OHV engines?

Nice job! I think mine may be due soon...

Can you post the part number?
I ordered the part through:

getoemparts.com
401-709-7836
PART #: XL2Z-9034-CA
DESCRIPTION: Filler Pipe
PRICE: $201.74

I've heard it said that you'll wear that black residue from the hoses on your hands for days if you don't wear gloves. Can anyone confirm that's the same hose/pipe assembly as used on the SOHC and OHV engines?
I believe that all three engines for 2000 Ford Explorers (4L V6 SOHC, 4L V6 OHV, and 5L V8) all use this same part number. The exception is the Sport Model.

I can relate to the dust off of the hoses blackening my hands and not wanting to come off it's I like they disintegrated over time

Back