Fuel Filter ay 70k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter ay 70k miles

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I decided to change the fuel filter on my '99 SOHC today. Its been 70k miles since the last swap.

The truck has been running good and the mileage is excellent, therefore, I didn't expect the innards of the filter to look too nasty.

I cut open the filter and removed the pleated filtering medium. As can be seen from the pictures, the material is discolored brownish, but not very bad.

The pictures show the outside of the media as well as the inside.

The filter swap was a 5 minute job with only a slight hassle with the removal tool [ I hate ford fuel line fittings ].

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 249

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did mine, and I do not know when it was done last, I bought it 8 months ago. I will cut it apart and see as well

Al, you mention using a "removal tool". Can you let me know that is, or an example online?

Thanks!

toypaseo said:
Al, you mention using a "removal tool". Can you let me know that is, or an example online?

Thanks!

I purchased the tool, pictured below, at Advanced Auto Parts a long time ago, therefore, I do not remember the maker or the cost.

You should be able to get such a tool at any auto parts store for less than $10.00.

It has tow sizes, 3/8" and 5/16"; use the 5/16" sizr for the Explorer fuel line.

This tools makes removing the fuel filter a relatively easy task.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 229

Is that the K-D tool? What octane gas do you use? Do you buy gas in a certain gas station, or just wherever it's more convenient? It's hard to believe how clean that filter looks with kind of mileage.

BrooklynBay said:
Is that the K-D tool?

I got the tool at Advanced Auto Parts years ago; don't know the maker.

What octane gas do you use?

89 most of the time. It really depends on what computer tune I am using.

Do you buy gas in a certain gas station, or just wherever it's more convenient?

I usually use BP and when I am in town, I use the same station. On Atlanta trips, I usually use the same BP station.

advance auto now sells that same fuel line tool marketed by AmPro, roughly 10$s or so.....

Back